Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Starch to Sugar conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Starch to Sugar conversion

FIRST BABY!!!

Oddly enough I actually have a "science question". My HBC did a mashing presentation recently and we were talking about different processes that take place at different temps and I have a basic question...

Is all starch conversion done during the malting process and then mashing is simply "washing away" and then breaking down those sugars into simplier sugars for the yeast to then munch away on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6126 Times on 5338 Posts
Likes Given: 737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
Is all starch conversion done during the malting process and then mashing is simply "washing away" and then breaking down those sugars into simplier sugars for the yeast to then munch away on?
not really - the malting process prepares the starches to be converted...

that's why the grain is dried after it's germinated long enough.

Here's what Mr. Palmer has to say on the subject:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - What is Malted Grain?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Congrat's Cape on being the first.

As I understand it and as a generality (some of us in this forum will get caught up in details) and for "base" grains, malting is essentially "tricking" the barley "seed" into germinating (Sorry for all the air quotes). When it does this, it has created the enzymes that we want for mashing. The starch in the barley is largely left as starch. Then germination is stopped by drying it out and kilning it. So, what you're left with instead of just starch is starch and enzymes. At certain temperatures, and in the presence of water, these enzymes will convert the starch to sugar (this is mashing). There are other enzymes that will break down proteins, etc., but that's really outside your question.

So, no mashing is not simply "washing away" sugars. That's what lautering is for. Mashing is taking advantage of the enzymes formed during malting to convert starches to sugars. Then you wash away the sugars (wort) during the lauter.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
adrock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wheeee! A sub-forum for nerds! I'm in! Must have more exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I approve of this forum.

*sagenod*

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
nibiyabi
Recipes 

Now THIS is a subforum I'd really like to start sinking my teeth into.

Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: Old Greg's Honey Stout (brewed 2009.03.20)
Secondary #1: Old Greg's Apfelwein (modified) (made 2009.03.20)
Secondary #2: Old Greg's Apfelwein (made 2009.03.05)
Keg #1: Old Greg's American IPA (brewed 2009.02.20 // secondaried 2009.02.28 // kegged 2009.03.07 // tapped 2009.03.30)
Keg #2: Old Greg's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter (brewed 2009.03.06 // kegged 2009.03.30)

RIP: Old Greg's Classic Beer Pong Ale (2009.02.27 - 2009.03.06)

Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Is this finally the "Kaiser Honorary Forum"?

What's tappening? :D

Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #8
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Just wanted to tack onto this thread. I was paging through Fix (Principles of Brewing Science) and saw a table indicating the starch/sugar content of raw barley and barley malt:

.........................................Starch %........................Sugar %
Barley....................................63...... ............................2
Malt.......................................58..... .............................8

You can see that some sugars are already present in raw barley and that some starches are converted to sugars during malting.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The only malt where complete starch conversion happens during the (greater) malting process is crystal or caramel malt. Here the endosperm of green malt is coverted though heat before the malt is kilned.

The germinating seed converts starch only at the rate as it needs sugar for its growth. If all the starch was converted during germination, all that sugar would be consumed by the growing barley plant and the yield would be extremely low. The goal of germination in malting is to create enzymes and the cytolysis (breakdown of cell walls) and let the seedling burn as little sugar as possible.

Kai

Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
Gordie
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

Right. What Kai said.

Conversion only happens through coaxing enzymes, through temperature, to get to work. That's why we have mash temps. The lovely thing about malting is that the enzymes that are needed to convert the starch are self contained in the barley once they've been coaxed into germinating through the malting process.

And god bless the mods for creating this subforum.

Quick Reply