New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Sparging with distilled water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
DrawTap88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Another thing about TH's spreadsheet (Thanks, TH), it has a box that allows you to figure out the sparge addition. I add the recommended salts from the spreadsheet and don't worry (much) about the ph when sparging.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Thanks AJ. I have some lactic acid and in a week or so will be in the second group (I ordered the Hanna pHep 5).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I used to use acid in my tap water for sparge water to get the pH down to 6. I have since gone to 90% distilled and 10% tap with no acid for sparging and the final runnings pH is always well under 5.8 as long as my mash pH was good. At first I used an eye-dropper (from Walgreens) to add the acid and then went with a burette for more accuracy.
FYI, 17 drops from a Walgreens eye dropper is about 1 mL, measured with the burette.

Next: Pre-Prohibition Pilsner
Fermenting: Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: 1830's Mild, Rye Session IPA, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Wee-Heavy, Tripel

Quick Reply