LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #21
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

That points the finger back at chlorphenolics then.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #22
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a ro filtration setup and build your water up from there? I guess if OP lived in an area that had water usage policies it wouldn't be a solution but otherwise aside from cost I think he's a good candidate for purchasing one. And seeing how time, fuel, and energy are needed to go to the store and acquire ro or spring water eventually it would pay for itself. Why try and chase an ever changing variable when for a few hundred dollars you can eliminate it.

Obviously this wouldn't solve a chloromaine problem but as others have stated campden tablets fix that.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

In my opinion it is clearly the way to go but not all share that opinion and that's fine.

RO does sort of solve the chloramine problem in that chloramine will poison many RO membranes and, therefore, systems are equipped with a large enough pre-filters (carbon) to remove it. If I were on a chlorinated water system I think I would obtain a second carbon filter and run with belt and suspenders.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #24
MrT2u
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found a place that had RO water. I used 40% RO in my mash. I wanted to use some tap water for the mineral content, I used Brunwater to calculate the dilution. I also used campden in the tab water. I sparged with 100% RO water in order to keep the pH down.

On first taste after the boil, I did not have the off flavour as I did before.

I think I will use my tap water with campden and some acid to control pH on my next batch to see if that will work.

I will keep some RO water around too and keep using Bru n water to make adjustments with RO and acids.

Quick Reply