Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > So i brought a sample

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
noobster101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ks
Posts: 45
Default So i brought a sample

Since I work in a lab might as well test my beer:

Color: Amber Beer
Clarity: Hazy
Smell: Malty Sweet
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.020
PH: 5.0
Proteih: Trace / <=2.0 mg/dL
Calcium: 11 mg/dL
Glucose: 23 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 2353 mg/dL ===>>wow!
Magnesium: 10 mg/dL
Ethanol : 3517 mg/dL=> the ABV estimates @ palmer's book is pretty close.

Electrolytes: Analyzer is having a fit when I try to run these test so gave up after 5 tries.

Microscopic: (use of asceptic technique)

10 mL spun Beer ( 3 min: 180 sec @5,100rpm ) Clarity:CLEAR!

Moderate Yeast cells (rare budding)
Rare Cocci and Bacilli ==> Will have to ask for the supervisor if I want to do Cultures and ID on the babies.

Still will do a bunch of test if I get a go signal from the boss to use the microbiology lab for beer.

__________________
noobster101 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,278
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Default

At what magnification(s) did you use for the microscope? I've looked at beer under a microscope and had similar results to yours (except more yeast since the sample was taken at racking). I could see some bacillus even without staining.

__________________

END TRANSMISSION

menschmaschine is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
swankyswede
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Does your lab have a UV/Vis spectrometer? You can check out the actual color value of your beer - I posted a thread about this, and I need someone to verify my work on it. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/measuring-srm-169872/ for the procedure.

__________________
swankyswede is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
lamarguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,657
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

A pH of 5 sounds abnormally high for fermented beer. I'm interested to hear about the bacillus counts as well.

George Fix stated something along the lines of "In my experience, the most common reason for sub par homebrew is a very small, non-obvious bacterial contamination".

__________________
Doggfather Brewery

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus
lamarguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
noobster101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ks
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
At what magnification(s) did you use for the microscope? I've looked at beer under a microscope and had similar results to yours (except more yeast since the sample was taken at racking). I could see some bacillus even without staining.
I was using the HPF with a total of 400x magnification with direct mount (my sample was from a 2ndary fermenter chilled for 4 days) It's still hazy and the culprit was the yeast. If you have a field that's full of junk and stuff, you can do wet mount (1 drop KOH + 1 drop Beer) that should clean everything up except the yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankyswede View Post
Does your lab have a UV/Vis spectrometer? You can check out the actual color value of your beer - I posted a thread about this, and I need someone to verify my work on it. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/measuring-srm-169872/ for the procedure.
Sadly we don't have a stand alone spectrophotometer . Just a food for thought though... The Law on light absorption and transmittance is called...BEER'S LAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
A pH of 5 sounds abnormally high for fermented beer. I'm interested to hear about the bacillus counts as well.

George Fix stated something along the lines of "In my experience, the most common reason for sub par homebrew is a very small, non-obvious bacterial contamination".
I have no idea what's the optimum ph for fermented beer but for yeast growth it ranges around 4-6 some to 7, just depends on the specie. I'll do the bacilli and cocci ID when I get a green signal from the microbiology boss. Until then off to brew!
__________________
noobster101 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
sw341034
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 60
Default

swankyswede, i am working on a research project and ran some beer on the UV-VIS using your method in our lab...seemed to be quite accurate

__________________
sw341034 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
swankyswede
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw341034 View Post
swankyswede, i am working on a research project and ran some beer on the UV-VIS using your method in our lab...seemed to be quite accurate
Awesome, I'm glad someone else tried it. What were the predicted and measured values?
__________________
swankyswede is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It brought me so much joy, and now it's gone... Crazytwoknobs General Chit Chat 2 02-12-2008 05:16 AM
Look what UPS brought today... olllllo General Chit Chat 0 01-03-2008 03:06 AM
Look what UPS brought me yesterday! HBRunner Extract Brewing 16 11-29-2007 08:46 PM
It's Here! and it brought more questions! Oahu Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 08-04-2005 08:25 PM