Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Skunky but Crystal Clear after sunlight exposure.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
giligson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Skunky but Crystal Clear after sunlight exposure.

We all know that UV exposure to sunlight "skunks" the alpha acids in hopped beer. So for fun today I thought I would try the experiment with some recent lager that I drew for a taste and F.G. Sample. I bottled in a clear glass bottle and set it out in the sun for 2 hours. The initial sample had a typical protein haze that I am waiting out to clear by gravity. When I came back to get the bottle the beer was almost crystal clear. Initially I though this may have to do with soluability since the beer warmed up in the sun. I stuck it in the freezer for 15 min until it was about 6 celsius (serving temp) but the sample was still clear - no haze.
The sample had that great skunky "import" flavour and aroma (I actually do like a bit of that - having grown accustomed to it over the years drinking import bottle beer) but why did the protein haze dissapear - did I just not give it enough time to reform? was there a reaction with the altered hops?

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
menschmaschine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Hmm... perhaps the ultraviolet light and/or radiant heat broke the hydrogen bonds between proteins and polyphenols.

END TRANSMISSION

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply