The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Salt Additions & Water Volumes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
guttoc27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Salt Additions & Water Volumes

I'm planning on brewing an AG partial boil. 3.5gal boil, 5.5gal final vol (i.e. 2 gal top-off water). I'm using all RO water and doing salt additions. Do I calculate for, and thus treat, ALL 5.5 gal of water (thus, including the top-off water), or only the water for my Mash/Sparge? I've seen some opinions both ways. Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttoc27 View Post
I'm planning on brewing an AG partial boil. 3.5gal boil, 5.5gal final vol (i.e. 2 gal top-off water). I'm using all RO water and doing salt additions. Do I calculate for, and thus treat, ALL 5.5 gal of water (thus, including the top-off water), or only the water for my Mash/Sparge? I've seen some opinions both ways. Thanks for the help!
I'd treat all of the water. Don't add any alkalinity to your sparge/top-off water though (examples: baking soda, chalk (doesn't really work, generally), slaked lime).

Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I would add the salt required for all 5.5 gallons to the mash as long as it isn't so much that the pH will be adversely effected.

Although I have heard often to treat 5.5 gallons of water and use what is necessary from that for the mash.

Here are some simple guidelines based on flavor instead of pH
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...chemistry.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Quick Reply