Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > RO water adjustments: Just not getting it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #21
hops2it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Thanks Ken. Yeah its definitely being treated because our hardness is normally 120-150 and our total alkalinity usually runs about 70. Also, our pH is around 9.5 and the store water was 7.6. I'm guessing it'd suffice for .39 a gallon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hops2it View Post
Well I tested my store's RO water. It had no real measurable alkalinity or hardness (via titration), but it shows 82 TDS. Sigh. Not sure how important that is in the grand scale. If the hardness and alkalinity are knocked out, should I still care about TDS?
Its probably still better than the tap water. The lack of hardness is not a surprise since the divalent Ca and Mg ions are preferentially removed from the product water by the RO process. If the local water is really hard, the machine may also have some sort of ion-exchange pretreatment that takes out the Ca and Mg and inserts Na or K. The RO product water has somewhat high Na or K. But given the TDS reading, the Na or K probably isn't that high to make it unusable. 82 ppm is not good, but its not a disaster. Do keep an eye on the reading and contact the machine operator to complain that the machine is not producing RO quality water.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
hops2it
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Will do. I'll complain to the store manager. They're typically rather accomodating there. Although they might wish they'd have not let me grab a sample of the water now. I went in there yesterday and asked the manager if I could do that before investing in a couple of their 5 gallon refillable carboys. I was real honest with him...said I'm thinking of using this for homebrew water but I need to know it meets my qualifications.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #24
Bassman2003
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So is an RO filter supposed to remove the hardness from water? I but gallons of water at Wal-mart and have the choice between RO or distilled. Both the gallons say the source is the Ft. Worth municipal water supply. I usually only add one or two gallons in my mash to a five gallon batch. Should I go for distilled just to make sure?

Any reason not to go with distilled? Thanks

Quick Reply