Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > RO/DI Setup for Home Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default RO/DI Setup for Home Brewers

Not sure this is exactly the right forum so apologies if I have erred. It seems appropriate since the other water discussions happen here.

I used to keep a reef system and they are very concerned with removal of chlorine/chloramine as well as silicates. To that end I did some searching for an RO/DI setup that is suitable and affordable for my brew uses.

I think this one might be okay, would anyone care to comment?

SpectraPure® Maxpure RO/DI System - 25 GPD, $149.99

I want one that will work of course, but I'd also like to save money for other things if possible.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't think you can go wrong by getting a unit from SpectraPure. I just bought an RO/DI and my research narrowed down between them and Air, Water & Ice.

Chris

Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You don't need the DI. This one is similar to mine, though I got the drinking water setup with the bladder. Cheaper...

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-...tem-75gpd.html

Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There's need and there's "need". If I''m going to go to the trouble to use RO there's not much savings by having one less canister. If the water from the RO is not that bad then the DI media will last forever. If not then I "need" it.

Since posting this thread there was another more detailed one where I posted the system I think I will be using. About twice the flow as the ones at the place you posted: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/lin...ml#post4916380

I started thinking about how long it would take me to fill everything up for a 15 gallon batch and the 150gpd sounded a lot more attractive.

Lee Bussy

Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
MNDan
Recipes 

The 150 GPD systems doesn't reduce the hardness as much as a 75 or less GPD system, making it harder on your DI resin.

http://douglasenviro.blogspot.com/20...r-day-gpd.html

No matter what it will still take hours to make your 17 gallons of water for an average 10 gallon batch. You won't just be making it the morning of your brewday. Consumer RO systems are slow...

Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

"Bonjour"

It was on the Internet, right?

You can either increase the flow through the membrane (thus reducing the amount of solids rejected), or you can double the size of the membrane to double the flow. I'll go ahead and find out which is correct here, but a blog is not really a scholarly reference. If it was any answer I find on their website is just as reliable.

Lee Bussy

Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
MNDan
Recipes 

Yeah - that wasn't the best source of info - sorry I posted it. I can tell you that no matter what you are going to have to plan ahead to make your water regardless of what system you get, and that adding DI won't help your beer and may in fact hurt it (depending on your grain bill & it's content of zinc/copper/etc...). I've got six 5-gallon carboys that I use for storing the RO water. The week before brewing I just fill one a night after work & I'm good to go.

And as long as you are getting an RO system, you should also get a bladder & drinking water setup so you can enjoy the delicious RO water all of the time instead of just in your beer. Just be sure your drinking water is RO and not DI - DI water is bad for you from what I've read.

dan

Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Funny story:

When I was keeping a reef I would fill up a plastic carboy on occasion. At least three different times I overfilled the thing, spilling water all over. When I was discussing a way to put a float in a carboy my friend asked "why not just set the thing in the sink?".

Lee Bussy

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I purchased from Bulk Reef Supply (and am very happy with them as a company). I purchased the 4 stage RO drinking water system with the 150GPD upgrade kit. I was going to purchase the 5 stage DI system from them (with the line of thinking that more reduction is better), but they actually advised against DI in a drinking only application. Here is what they said specifically:

It is controversial as to if you can drink DI water since it is so pure it can grab minerals from wherever it can and since it possibly can do that from your body, we steer clear from it.

I get a fairly fast flow rate for the water. I have never calculated it, but I start filling water the night before (while watching TV, etc.). By the time I go to bed I have more than enough water to get going the next morning. I normally grab the last 5 gallons of water in the morning while I'm setting things up. My TDS reads about 6-8PPM, which is pretty low in my book, and I'm happy with it.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I use almost that exact system.
I added an auto-stop and a float valve, and fill a 55 gallon barrel , which sits on top of my garage kegerator.
I use 1" PVC pipe and valves for incredibly fast fills.
Having 55 gallons of RO water sitting around for end-of-the-world emergencies is not that bad of an idea. Just say'n.

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Quick Reply