New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Reverse Osmosis systems are expensive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefaser View Post
How is the flow rate out of these systems? I do 15 gallon batches and use about 20 gallons when I brew and they list most as 50-75 gallons per day. So would it take 6 hours to fill a 20 gallon pot?
I keep gallon jugs on hand and fill periodically.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefaser View Post
How is the flow rate out of these systems? I do 15 gallon batches and use about 20 gallons when I brew and they list most as 50-75 gallons per day. So would it take 6 hours to fill a 20 gallon pot?
It does. I fill an HLT that holds about 14 gallons (keggle, with a HEX in it) and it takes about 5 hours to fill it.

The waste water goes directly into my washing machine, until full, then into a drain or a bucket in my sink for watering the garden.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #23
lockwom
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
1. This is quite true; however, I am on a well, and am not going to put that kind of load on it.

2. Part of a daily trip when all bases are touched; no more or less fuel involved.

3. My chilling water, at present, goes on the garden, more relevant in Spring than in Fall. So that's partly wasted, but the alternative is not to brew. I'm looking at recirculating the chilling water through a handy cistern, but that project hasn't matured yet, as I'm starting to think about how to put the cistern back to its original use in the broader context of water use in the household. (I'm just providing an answer to what you mentioned, not really sure how this pertains to the RO issue.)

4. I'm not sure I can agree from the information you've provided that anyone (= me, presumably) can keep waste "minimal" by just being "creative." I keep it as minimal as is reasonable, and reasonable means minimizing the load on our well.
I suppose using a well is different than the pressure a normal water system supllies. My comment was pointing out that the volume of water wasted can be managed. That was your original point.

I only brought up chilling on the topic of waste, so it almost certainly uses more water than the waste of RO. Ice came up to point out that lots of brewing is water and energy intensive.

That said, I would wager most homebrewers use less total energy than shipping bottles cross country.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #24
Hoppity
Just brew it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 17

FWIW: I changed from buying spring water to running tap water through a cheap RV filter. Never noticed a difference in flavor, neither did any of my fellow imbibers.

On tap: Nut Brown, IPA, Belgian White
Bottling: IPA, Nut Brown
Secondary: none
Primary: American White, ESB
On deck: Dopplebock, Tripel

Quick Reply