Old 10-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
janzik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilz View Post
You've got a lot of crud in there, but that bottom portion has good yeast mixed in with it. Shake up the yeast with some sterile water, let settle for 10 to 15 minutes and pour off the liquid to another container. Do this a couple times and you should end up with some clean yeast and less trub.
As from my original reply, I usually get 2 or so of these per 5 or 6 mason jars I collect. How many rewashings for something that likes like the OP's pic is worth it before you risk contamination? I guess it doesn't matter too much as long as you keep a sanitary environment?

For the 3 or 4 good mason jars that I get relatively clean on the first try, Should I just set Mr Malty to 4.5 Thick Yeast, leaving the Non Yeast as the default and estimate my pitching quantity from there?

(My example is for my 1.068 IPA, that I'm going to brew again with the harvested yeast)... If a 1.068 5.5 gal batch harvested today would require 70ml of thick yeast, wouldn't making a starter for my batch that I brew next week or the week after, or whenever be considered overpitching? Should I technically only pitch 70ml? (which to me probably wont happen and I'll just pitch the whole starter anyway)

Today I'm harvesting from a harvest, So I guess this would be a second (or third?) generation yeast. Is there anyway to take into account the viability between generations?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, I think I've realized my error and confusion. I had a small email back and forth with Jamil that I think has helped clear things up for me.

I had assumed that "yeast slurry" and trub were the same thing. I realize now, that the "yeast slurry" is the layer of viable yeast - the creamy white layer in the original photo. So when the pitch rate calculator says that I need ~50ml of slurry, it means I need ~50ml of that creamy white yeast layer. In that layer, some percentage of non-yeast is found and that is where the non-yeast % value (up to 25%) comes into play.

I am going to rerinse all the yeast I collected and get rid of the trub and then see how much slurry I have. I imagine I'll have ~50ml total, which will be enough to pitch directly for my next batch.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

update: I rerinsed the jars of yeast I collected and ended up with 4 jars like the ones below. I estimated each jar contains 30ml or so of good yeast, so I pitched 2 jars into my latest batch. Seems to have worked great as fermentation started in less than 12 hours.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

pitch it? why not just drink it?! mmm...looks delicious.

Quick Reply