New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Refilling CO2 Tanks with Dry Ice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
ShepFL
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Approx. $20 for 20# here in Jax, FL metro area. 4.95 for hydro test.
Helgat gas. For that price I am not gonna destroy a tank and try to beat ice into it.

Be the person you would want as a friend because at the end of the game the King and Pawn go in the same box.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #22
Rbeckett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
Rbeckett, where do you get your info? I don't see any evidence of price spikes due to any of the reasons you mention. Seems like local price gouging to me.
I was a Hzmat certified driver and it cost me 100 for a state of Fl background check, and the hazmat fees at my local welding supply went from 3 to 12 dollars per tank. When I asked why I was being charged hazmat fees for non hazardous gas, they replied that as of the first of Jan 2012, ALL transactions would have a 7% hazmat fee with a minimum 1.00 per ticket charge. I understand Hydrogen, Acetyline, even Oxygen, but CO2 and Argon in addition to Helium, cmon guys that is just an excuse to exploit a profit and revenue stream. Their attitude was it you want it you will pay it. Now I use a mom and pop gas supplier and am much happier with the service, price and reasonablness of there fee structure. So no anecdotal info, real world "it happened to me" situation.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #23
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
as of the first of Jan 2012, ALL transactions would have a 7% hazmat fee with a minimum 1.00 per ticket charge.
So delivery of large bottles to the retailer incurs a fee. Then smaller bottles are filled, and the cost is passed onto the consumer at a rate of 7% or $1 minimum per transaction? I still don't get how that pencils out to so much money in his area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepFL View Post
Approx. $20 for 20# here in Jax, FL metro area. 4.95 for hydro test.
Helgat gas. For that price I am not gonna destroy a tank and try to beat ice into it.
That sounds more like it.

Obviously the OP is being gouged. I feel for ya.

Keg #1: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Keg #4 RHESB 6.1

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer

Superbowl champions.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Seems like a huge waste of time.

$12 refills my tank. I wouldn't mess with dry ice even if my fills were $30+

Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 to the replies that say this is dumb as sh1t. I can't imagine doing anything as dumb as this for any reason. Sounds like a good recipe for a Darwin award.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #26
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemedes View Post
I know this isn't co2 in the video (co2 isn't flammable), but check out what happened to this guy that removed the valve off an oxygen tank. Just sayin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc
This needs to be said again and again - these canisters are full of compressed air waiting to escape; in other words, they're BOMBS.

No one should be ****ing with these things if they're not licensed to do so, and no one should ever be screwing around with a charged cylinder

Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #27
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 15

if you're in a club, try to have the club set up a cash account with airgas. $12 for a 20lb swap

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead

Kegged:

Fermenting: 2x Oatmeal Stout, Bravo APA, Concord Wine

Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 AM   #28
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro View Post
This needs to be said again and again - these canisters are full of compressed air waiting to escape; in other words, they're BOMBS.

No one should be ****ing with these things if they're not licensed to do so, and no one should ever be screwing around with a charged cylinder
Gotta second this.

Having worked with very hazardous materials, from radioactive to strong oxidizers to carcinogens to compressed gases, I wouldn't attempt this. I'm fully HAZWOPER, OSHA, HAZMAT, etc. trained. Not gonna do it.

There's a couple things that can go wrong with this method...

1. There's more pressure in the tank than you expect and when you start taking the valve off it pops off and hurts you. Valves can stick, gauges can be inaccurate.
2. You put the dry ice in, which then rapidly cools the metal tank, it pressurizes, then you move it. All of a sudden, due to the temperature, the tank cracks and sends shards of metal into your legs, arms, genitals, you name it. This can happen from a temperature difference (setting on a much warmer surface), the metal being too cold and below it's working temp, or just dumb luck.

For example, you can autoclave (high temp, high pressure sterilization) many flasks with liquid in them and set them onto room temperature counters hundreds of times. And then you get one that's got a weak spot, or you didn't let cool as long, or the liquid holds heat better than your normal liquid, etc. and you put it down and it explodes all over you.

You don't want that. Be safe, let a professional do it. Even if it costs you a little more. Saving $20 every 6 months ain't worth your life.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #29
00tank
Recipes 

I’m doing it tomorrow and will also record it.I have a 25 kg CO2 tank, I have taken the center valve out and tomorrow with drop 5 kg of dry ice pellets in it .Because it is a BOC bottle which here in Australia no one will refill because it is owned by BOC,if I take it to BOC they will confiscate it because im not paying rent on it.
Was full lasted ages cant get filled anywhere so time to experiment.Ill link to youtube tommorow night if still alive

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #30
2bluewagons

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

I'm not really clear what made you resurrect this thread in the first place, and definitely not sure why after reading it you decided this was a good idea. It might work at 5kg, it might work at 10kg, or even 25kg. Or it might explode.

Not worth it.

Quick Reply