Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Refilling CO2 Tanks with Dry Ice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
alchemedes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I know this isn't co2 in the video (co2 isn't flammable), but check out what happened to this guy that removed the valve off an oxygen tank. Just sayin...

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Dry ice sublimes at -78°C at atmoshperic pressure. From what I have seen a dot3aa (is that the right standard?) cylinder has a lower working temperature of -20°C. I would be cautious of the cylinder getting cold and cracking due to brittle fracture.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2249 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I have a 5# tank and it costs $16 to refill at the local supply store. A 20# tanks only costs $19 to fill.

I'll be upgrading my tank when my EHERMS system is built. $3 more for 4 times as much? Yes please.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemedes View Post
I know this isn't co2 in the video (co2 isn't flammable), but check out what happened to this guy that removed the valve off an oxygen tank. Just sayin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc
Technically, oxygen is not flammable, either, nor can it "explode". It is an oxidizer, and will provide oxygen to a fire, but there needs to be a fuel of some sort in order to have such a thing happen.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Derek.
The prices fpr compressed gasses and the hazmat fees has risen astronomucally in the last 12 months. The current best price I can find around town is at a fire extinguisher service co. The welding gas places are just too expensive to fool with right now. Since a 5 lb cylinder will last a while I haven't had to fill any lately but am aware it is gonna hurt when I do. You can thamk mr Obama and the DOT for this little issue. Hazmat background checks are not cheap and every one is paying the cost of that due to 9/11. Sorry I dont have concrete prices, but I use non medical grade gasses because they are much cheaper than medical grade helium, argon or CO2.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
alchemedes
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't understand why the prices would differ so astronomically across the US. I guess some places just know they can rip you off.

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #17
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Not to thread jack, but do any of you have an adapter to do co2 canister to co2 canister transfers? I have a 20#, 5#, and 4#, and would like to use the 20# to refill the smaller ones. Any idea if what parts I need?

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 09-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
jolsen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain
To answer your question, it is possible, but I think you would need to remove the valve to do it, and that can be dangerous itself depending on your skill and knowledge of compressed gas cylinders. You would need to measure (in weight) the dry ice, and not exceed the bottle rating.

That said, you should be able to find a used 5 or 10 lb bottle on craigslist for around $50... more if it includes a regulator.
Take that puppy to your nearest welding shop and exchange it for a new, filled tank (doesn't matter if it's out of date as long as it's NOT a rented tank) for exchange.
I pay $11 for each 5 lb exchange, and the tanks I get look brand new. I understand it's only $20 or so to upgrade from a 5 to 10 lb., and the fills are only a couple dollars more.
Im jealous, up here I've searched everywhere and the cheapest I can find is 40$ n change for a 5# and I just mean refill...

Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

What about paintball? You guys have those stores around I assume? Wouldn't be too hard to addapt a large paintball co2 tank to your reg, and (at least around here) paintball refills are pretty cheap.
There is also fire extiguisher stores. Never tried them, but I understand they could be a good contact.
Good luck!

Rbeckett, where do you get your info? I don't see any evidence of price spikes due to any of the reasons you mention. Seems like local price gouging to me.

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
jolsen
Recipes 

I called around to all paintball places here and they wanted $45 for a 5# refill. I might just break down and rent a #20 they rent them for $100 annually and cost the same to refill here.

Quick Reply