Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > reading a hydrometer and hydrometer vs. refractometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Patirck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not a chemist - but do pretend to be one when I use hydrometers and refractometers.

I have used a hydrometer since I started brewing and to me, the difference between the top and bottom of the meniscus probably something less than my eyes can make out unless I bother to put my glasses on.

Getting back to your original question - I just bought a refractometer a few weeks ago and have done 4 brew sessions with it. It is very handy during the mash and boil. I found myself taking readings of first runnings last runnings, pre boil during the boil etc. The abilty to take a reading without having to worry about temperature and only using a drop or two of wort is very handy indeed.

The refractometer is best used before there is alcohol involved. Once gravity has started to drop (you've made some alcohol, you have to use a calculator to correct the reading. The same 4 batches of beer are fermenting right now and I learned the stupid way that the refractometer reading has to go through a correction process once sugar has been converted to alcohol (remember when I said I'm not a chemist?). The advantage during fermentation is that you only sacrifice a few drops of beer for gravity sample instead of a cup or so to get your hydrometer floating. There is also much less sanitizing involved - only the tip of the dropper touches the beer.

I tested all for batches with hydrometer and used refractometer and the brewmate correction calculator and they all came out the same.

For me, unless there is some compelling reason to use the hydrometer, it will probably stay in it's jar from now on. I love my refractometer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The only reason I go to the hydro after fermentation is that I'm already itching to taste a few ounces to the sample is far from wasted.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 656 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredAle View Post
Based on your knowledge and approach to these questions, I have to believe you were trained as a physical chemist.
I was trained as an electrical engineer but electrical engineers do lots of measurements too and the theory of measurement is the same whether it be the gain of an antenna or the temperature of beer in the fermentor.

As noted in my previous post much of what I throw out is moot because homebrewers, by and large, don't care or don't have the resources or time to worry about such arcana but I find this subject interesting, feel the world would be a better place if people knew how to deal with measurement better than they do. I hope some readers at least find this stuff interesting.

Quick Reply