Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Pommy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Quick question

Im sure this has been asked many times before but Ive had a quick look and didnt find anything, didnt really know what to search for though

Will my wort boil easier with a higher gravity? As in if I add my extracts will I find it easier to reach an acceptable boil then I would with 1.000 plain water? I have a bit of trouble getting there and wondered how this effects the heat of the liquid.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
scottlindner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Higher gravities will take more energy to reach a boil. So to answer your question directly, "no".

I *believe* a 1.040 gravity wort will take 4% more energy than pure water to reach boiling point. I may be oversimplifying some assumptions to make that 4% statement.

Scott

Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

The boiling point of wort goes up with increasing concentration of sugars, as Scott says. An 80 gravity wort will boil about two degrees F higher than pure water, according to this website - http://www.sugartech.co.za/bpe/index.php - This is probably not enough to make a difference to the way you're boiling wort. Sounds like your heat input is marginal. Are you boiling on a stove? What volume of wort are you boiling? Getting a higher output burner or boiling a smaller volume should help more than changing the gravity of the wort you are boiling.

Quick Reply