Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Question about hops utalization.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
DamianPollard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
I wonder about that. When hops are extracted to include everything then organic solvents or hypercritical CO2 are used but AFAIK when one is after just the oils steam distillation is the method of choice. It's not that it does a better job of extraction (I'm thinking) so much as that it gets only the oils and not the resins.

The rig looks like this: http://www.pbase.com/agamid/image/132252629

Not usually but sometimes you can work a package deal.
Were can you buy one of those? Or is it something you have to build yourself?

"Is there anything beer can't do" Hank Hill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
DamianPollard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
I wonder about that. When hops are extracted to include everything then organic solvents or hypercritical CO2 are used but AFAIK when one is after just the oils steam distillation is the method of choice. It's not that it does a better job of extraction (I'm thinking) so much as that it gets only the oils and not the resins.

The rig looks like this: http://www.pbase.com/agamid/image/132252629

Not usually but sometimes you can work a package deal.
Also, based on your description of this method, it seems like this would also break down the acids and make them useable. Could you poor the left over liquid that is in the flask into your primary fermenter and then add the oils when it finishes to get both the oils and acids?

"Is there anything beer can't do" Hank Hill

Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The closest thing I can find (which looks pretty darn close) is at http://www.gogenlab.com/products/pyrex-r-oil-dilution-distilling-receiver. I'm in Canada right now so I can't look a the thing and see who made it.

As to what's left in the flask? Don't know. I was only interested in the oils. It has occurred to me that it takes a long time for all the oil to be collected - about 4 hours - and that this says that all the oils aren't volatilized right away. The experiment this suggests is to see how much oil comes off in the first quarter hour, second third and so on to give an idea as to how much you loose from, say, an addition half and hour before knockout.

Quick Reply