Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Purple beer? Oxidation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 02:59 AM   #1
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

Default Purple beer? Oxidation?

Something interesting happened a few weeks ago. I made a batch of Belgian American ale and split it into 3 vessels from the fermenter. 3 gallons went into a small carboy for intentionally souring, 5 in a keg for serving and another two in another keg. I have made this recipe 3 times before, but this is the first time that I transferred using co2. I pushed co2 into the fermenter and it pushed the beer through the wand and tubing into the kegs... All went well until the last 2 gallons. At that time, the leaf hops from the dry hopping started clogging the wand. I had to pull it out and unclog it at least 10 times and there was also quite a lot of bubbling and burping co2 and splashing beer inside keg.

What was strange is when I went to pour it 20 or so days later, it had turned purple/grey/black. Flavor was off, but at the time I didn't really think cardboard. I am assuming that I oxidized it quite a bit with the splashing and the screwed up transfer.

Any thoughs?

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Infection.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Scubadude918
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Purple beer? Oxidation?

Well, no known pathogens can grow in beer due to the pH and alcohol levels, it won't make you sick. So if it tastes good enough to drink, then personally I wouldn't dump it.

As to what caused the color change, I haven't experienced that before. So I can't really help with the "why" factor. I've had beers splash a decent amount and haven't had that problem.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
benbradford
Recipes 

I considered the infection part, especially since I have brought the bugs into the brewery so to say. Didn't taste like any that I have encountered. What infection changes the color if the beer, but doesn't taste like lactobacillus. Actually there was no film on top either.

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I can't really give you an answer there but hazarding a guess I'd go for some sort of mold.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Was there any copper or brass in contact with the beer?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
benbradford
Recipes 

No copper or brass... Already dumped it. Drinking something that you know is incorrect is difficult to say the least. Isn't the most beer that I had to dump

I figured infection or oxidation, but with no other examples of this occurring, I was stumped. I have brewed hundreds of gallons and this isn't like I did anything too out I the usual.

Jerry Garcia

Quick Reply