Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Is the protein rest useless ?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
hector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Is the protein rest useless ?!

Hi there !

As far as I know , the gelatinization temperature of malted Barley is 140-150 F .

The pale malt I use is moderately modified , therefore I always do the protein rest at 125-130 F and then raise the mash temperature to 150 F .

I'd like to know if the protein rest is totally useless , as the malt hasn't reached the gelatinization temperature yet .

Hector

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Proteins and gelatinization have to do with different things. gelatinization refers to starch granules swelling and becoming soluble and the protein rest causes changes which influence the breakdown of proteins into short, medium and long chains. Free amino nitrogen is influenced by protein rest duration as are the head retention proteins and the proteins dealing with the body.

For homebrewing purposes it isn't as important as it would be for an industrial brewery. If you are trying to emulate a specific style then it is one thing, however normal malt generally doesn't need a protein rest. If too many proteins are broken down, you could end up with very poor head retention and body also.

That being said, depending on the malt analysis, some malts could benefit from a protein rest. An example would be a low WK index which could lead to a lesser level of FAN for yeast health and would need a protein rest to correct. If you did a protein rest on a malt with a high WK index, it could be detrimental for the resulting beer.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 19

A pro brewer with a PhD in biochemistry gave us a lecture on the biochemistry of mashing in which he showed one slide divided into 3 fields. One depicted a jolly looking fat man in a red suite with a long white beard. The second showed a cute little rabbit with a basket full of brightly colored eggs and the third had only text: "value of a protein rest". That pretty clearly conveyed his opinion. However on the 2 occasions where I omitted the protein rest in a mash using Maris Otter malt the resultant beers had protein hazes that persisted for the life of the beer (over a year). That shaped my opinion. Though I am sure it is not absolutely necessary with today's well modified malts I do one in every beer without detriment (thus far). The usual fear is that head retention will be effected and if you over do it that might well turn out to be the case. Guess I haven't over done it (yet).

Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I certainly wouldn't consider a protein rest to be fictitious/not needed. No maltster makes perfectly malted barely that is converted exactly the correct amount to work optimally for every brewer's system. It is a compromise so it will work well with most brewery systems. That is, work well, but not optimally. The only way to to that is to make the malt yourself to match your processs - like they do at Pilsner Urquell. When I recently asked one of their brewers if he would recommend a protein rest for commercial (pilsner) malts. He said absolutely.

I recently decided a good analogy is that altering saccharification temperatures is like messing with the bass adjustment knob on a stereo and conducting a protein rest is like messing with the treble adjustment knob. Yes you can change the quality by just messing with the bass knob, but you can do a lot more if you mess with BOTH knobs. Homebrewers seem to not want to/are afraid to, mess with the treble knob (protein rest).

Perhaps I'll look around for a paper where someone has characterized the protein size fractions at various times/temps during the mash. I assume the big boys shoot for target protein size fraction ratios

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
Liquisky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

(quote) Perhaps I'll look around for a paper where someone has characterized the protein size fractions at various times/temps during the mash. I assume the big boys shoot for target protein size fraction ratios (quote)

Any luck in your research?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Though I am sure it is not absolutely necessary with today's well modified malts I do one in every beer without detriment (thus far). The usual fear is that head retention will be effected and if you over do it that might well turn out to be the case. Guess I haven't over done it (yet).
I thought I was the only homebrewer left doing a protein rest.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
I thought I was the only homebrewer left doing a protein rest.
No !

I do it every time , too .

Hector

Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought it was only important for grain bills with high wheat content. I always do one when brewing a wheat beer. However, others brews where there is maybe 1lb of wheat in a 10lb bill I don't. What I'm taking away is it is beneficial to do regardless of the wheat %.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquisky View Post
(quote) Perhaps I'll look around for a paper where someone has characterized the protein size fractions at various times/temps during the mash. I assume the big boys shoot for target protein size fraction ratios (quote)

Any luck in your research?
Haven't had the chance yet. Perhaps next week.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
I thought it was only important for grain bills with high wheat content. I always do one when brewing a wheat beer.
John Palmer says in his "How To Brew" :

This rest should only be used when using moderately-modified malts, or when using fully modified malts with a large

proportion (>25%) of unmalted grain, e.g. flaked barley, wheat, rye, or oatmeal.

I always do this rest because the pale malt I use is moderately modified .

Hector

Quick Reply