Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Proper use of PH test strips?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 16

See #7. The probability that I am color blind is 100%. I don't do elf hat blue or rose blue. I'm lucky if I can tell it's blue. I'm relying, therefore, I what I see reported. Kai Troester did some extensive testing on these things. You'd have to refer to his website to see about the grade of strips he used. He asked several people to assist him in assessing his results and he did this by photographing strips exposed to various levels of pH next to the scales printed on the bottles, e-mailing these to us and asking us to read them. I couldn't do that, of course, but what I could do was analyze the colors in the photos, construct a calibration curve from the scale and "measure" the pH of the individual strips from that. They were way off RE pH meter readings Kai made.

If you know of strips that do compare favorably to pH meter readings of mash please let the other 95% (i.e. normal color vision) of the readership know what they are.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
See #7. The probability that I am color blind is 100%. I don't do elf hat blue or rose blue. I'm lucky if I can tell it's blue. I'm relying, therefore, I what I see reported. Kai Troester did some extensive testing on these things. You'd have to refer to his website to see about the grade of strips he used. He asked several people to assist him in assessing his results and he did this by photographing strips exposed to various levels of pH next to the scales printed on the bottles, e-mailing these to us and asking us to read them. I couldn't do that, of course, but what I could do was analyze the colors in the photos, construct a calibration curve from the scale and "measure" the pH of the individual strips from that. They were way off RE pH meter readings Kai made.

If you know of strips that do compare favorably to pH meter readings of mash please let the other 95% (i.e. normal color vision) of the readership know what they are.
Kai's testing was on EMD Colorphast strips which are commonly sold by homebrew shops as high precision strips. At least they don't call them high accuracy.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

I was going to give it another go on the last brewday, but forgot. At this point I'm going to shoot for a digital tester, but I might try the strips out again before I get it. Maybe the next brew day I will not be pushed for time and will be better prepared to use the strips.

I do not have the colorphast, which I suspect will be better than the generic brand I have. The price of colorphast strips is a good portion of the price of a lower-end digital pH meter.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
a10t2
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I do not have the colorphast, which I suspect will be better than the generic brand I have. The price of colorphast strips is a good portion of the price of a lower-end digital pH meter.
The generic ones are pretty much worthless IME; all they can tell you is the color of the wort. The ColorpHast strips (based on the survey Kai did, and in which I participated) can be read with reasonable precision, and are fairly accurate once the appropriate offset (+0.3 pH) is applied. This would appear to be some peculiarity of mash chemistry rather than a flaw in the strips' manufacture, since they are accurate in buffer solutions.

You're right that they are a little pricey; by the time you use 300 ColorpHast strips you could have bought a mid-grade pH meter. I would submit that for a home brewer the strips are a practical alternative. At work where I brew 2-3 times a week I maintain a pH meter, but at home where I brew 10-15 times per year I don't personally think it's worth it.
squeeze your sack like it owes you money.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Yeah, I am still debating with myself over the cost. At least with a pH meter, I can get better resolution and higher accuracy than with the strips. And I can test my starting water rather than relying on the lab report, which may not be accurate at any given season. Plus, it's one more cool toy to own.

But there is expense beyond just the purchase of the meter, like buffer solution and calibration solution. And I've heard that they can just suddenly "go bad", which would suck.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

test them with some vinegar and a solution of baking soda and water. You should definitely see some changes with those

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
But there is expense beyond just the purchase of the meter, like buffer solution and calibration solution. And I've heard that they can just suddenly "go bad", which would suck.
Stop whining and man up, ph meters are cool! Who want's to guess the color of some cheesy ph strips when you can see an actual lcd readout telling you how awesome you are.

If you can get in on some "bulk" grain buys, I got a crapload of calibration solutions for real cheap. The buffer and cleaning solution I bought will last nearly a lifetime, so it's a onetime expense.

_

Old 07-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #18
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Bumping since I didn't know better before I bought them. $5 pH strips are useless in anything we would use them for.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 07-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #19
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Here's a pic of my strips after being dipped in wort which read 5.6 on my calibrated digital pH meter.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #20
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Stop whining and man up, ph meters are cool! Who want's to guess the color of some cheesy ph strips when you can see an actual lcd readout telling you how awesome you are.

If you can get in on some "bulk" grain buys, I got a crapload of calibration solutions for real cheap. The buffer and cleaning solution I bought will last nearly a lifetime, so it's a onetime expense.

_
WEST
What Ph meter do you have? Ive been looking for a cheap but good one.

Quick Reply