Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Potassium Sorbate & Brettanomyces

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Default Potassium Sorbate & Brettanomyces

This might be a question better suited for the Lambic forum, but...

I have some fruit I was planning on adding to a Brett beer, but just noticed it has potassium sorbate & sulfur dioxide as preservatives.

I understand that potassium sorbate, in conjuction with campden or potassium sulfite, will kill most sacch strains, but what about Brett?

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

bump? for science knowledge...

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
ryane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

the sorbate will take care of everything, even brett

The thing about sorbate though, is that it wont stop an active fermentation, so you could add it, however, everyone thats ever done this (quite a few with ciders) have reported terrible off flavors

I would get some different fruit, and not risk ruining the beer. BTW what kind of fruit is it? and whats the beer?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
the sorbate will take care of everything, even brett

The thing about sorbate though, is that it wont stop an active fermentation, so you could add it, however, everyone thats ever done this (quite a few with ciders) have reported terrible off flavors

I would get some different fruit, and not risk ruining the beer. BTW what kind of fruit is it? and whats the beer?
thanks ryane, that is kind of what I thought after reading through some of the threads of folks looking to back-sweeten their ciders.

The beer is a dark saison that had local honey, figs & dates that got t-58 & brett B and I'd planned on racking onto some figs and a bit of Brett L for aging. I'd reserved some of the original figs, but 'someone' used them for cookies and now the only ones I can find are dried or preserved.

Quick Reply