Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > pH testing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
rsmith1024
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pH testing

wondering if anyone tests the PH of their brew. and if so, how do you test.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Just curious as to why you'd want to do this, that is, if you mean the final product. pH is most important in the mash and to a lesser degree, the boil. The pH of beer is typically in the low 4s. It is brought down to this pH through the mash, boil, and fermentation.

You could test it with a meter (expensive) or the pH strips made for the pH ranges specific to brewing. You can get them at any LHBS and they're accurate enough when you consider the expense and calibration of a pH meter.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 03-27-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
thooper41
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Just curious as to why you'd want to do this, that is, if you mean the final product. pH is most important in the mash and to a lesser degree, the boil. The pH of beer is typically in the low 4s. It is brought down to this pH through the mash, boil, and fermentation.

You could test it with a meter (expensive) or the pH strips made for the pH ranges specific to brewing. You can get them at any LHBS and they're accurate enough when you consider the expense and calibration of a pH meter.
Guessing by being his 2nd post he was really trying asking who tests their mash pH while doing AG brews. I use 5.2 stabilizer and dont test currently but will switch to testing then ajust w/brewing salts once I get a pH reader.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

If you're asking about the mash, I test with pH strips and get 5.4 with the correct amount of of pH 5.2 stabilizer :-/. So, I have been using 4/3 times the recommended dosage.

Quick Reply