Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > pH adjustments at mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grv View Post
Why the gelatin in the mini mash? How are you guys making sure that the mini mash has the same % of each grain as the full scale mash? Do you mix the grains after milling to make sure they're not stratified, or scale down and measure each one (1 gram of this, 5 grams of that, etc.)?
No gelatin in the mash. It was written poorly, but I meant the microwave is handy for heating water for these mini mashes, and for heating water/gelatin solutions to 160F/170F when clearning beer instead of dealing with the stove.

I'd measure the grain on a gram scale (at least accurate to 0.1 g). I have this one for <$10. It's used for water adjustments, mini mashes, hops, acid malt...
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh.../dp/B0012LOQUQ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
grv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith

No gelatin in the mash. It was written poorly, but I meant the microwave is handy for heating water for these mini mashes, and for heating water/gelatin solutions to 160F/170F when clearning beer instead of dealing with the stove.

I'd measure the grain on a gram scale (at least accurate to 0.1 g). I have this one for <$10. It's used for water adjustments, mini mashes, hops, acid malt...
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh.../dp/B0012LOQUQ
Cool - thanks!

Steve

On tap: Imperial Stout
On tap: Oaked Scottish 80/-
On tap: 'Mercan Ale
On tap: Smithy ESB
Conditioning: Apfelwein
Conditioning: Dubbel
In primary: DFH 60 minute IPA clone
On deck: Old Peculiar clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message