Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Ph 5.0 24 hours after pitching, 1st time with a ph meter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
SalmoSalar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ph 5.0 24 hours after pitching, 1st time with a ph meter

OK, so I'm a little worried; I have no visible signs of fermentation yet 24 hours after pitching a starter of wlp800 pilsner lager yeast. I had a wort ph 5.4 before pitching; it is now 5.0. Is this OK?

This also only my second lager ever. The first one I used s-23 and it started fermentation sooner than this.

I'm asking this because I have a couple of packets of s-23 waiting in the wings; just wondering if and when I should re-pitch.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Relax, sometimes a bit of time can pass before you see signs of fermentation, but the fact that the pH dropped is a sign that it is. Cold wort absorbs CO2 so the tell tale signs of bubbling are repressed.

First time I have heard of anyone messing with the wort that way that soon after pitching by taking a ph reading.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This is a good sign. It means that even though you can't see anything yet the yeast are busily establishing a favorable environment for themselves i.e. one where the pH is too low for competing organisms. Try looking at the surface of the wort from a very low eye angle while illuminating it with a flashlight also from a low angle. You may see scintillation at the surface from tiny priprick bubbles breaking it. I expect you'll see gas evolution pretty soon.

This is definitely one (of several) reasons for owning a pH meter though few seem to realize that it can be used to great advantage in this application.

Quick Reply