New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > PB2 Peanut Butter Powder Utilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #31
shauntraxler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I racked mine yesterday over 1oz each of Watkins chocolate and peanut butter extract. I have no visible fermentation.

How long was your beer in primary? (2 posts up, sorry I didn't quote)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #32
ajfranke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntraxler View Post
I racked mine yesterday over 1oz each of Watkins chocolate and peanut butter extract. I have no visible fermentation.

How long was your beer in primary? (2 posts up, sorry I didn't quote)
It was in primary for six days. I don't know how much sugar the Watkins extract has, but it's probably less than is in the PB2 powder. This was my first time ever racking something into secondary, so I really didn't know what to expect (a reinvigorated fermentation, or otherwise). By now (11 days in secondary) everything has died down. Similar to what many people have reported, there's a layer "peanut scum" on the surface of the beer surrounded by what looks like some very buoyant yeast.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #33
ajfranke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfranke View Post
I'm also giving a similar extract recipe a go right now: http://hopville.com/recipe/525367/sweet-stout-recipes/peanut-butter-cup-stout
An update! Quoting myself just for reference...

I ended up bottling this after about 2.5 weeks in secondary. There was a layer of obvious peanut oil scum at the top during this time. Also, as time went on, a fine tan substance began to accumulate just below the top layer of scum (what I referred to as "buoyant yeast" in another post). I now believe that this was just very fine peanut scum/oils slowly coming out of suspension. As many have said before, the PB2 leaves a HUGE layer of trub at the bottom. My initial batch was just over 6 gallons, and I ended up with

The beer sat in bottles for 3 weeks before I tried one, which was about a week ago. Over this time, another layer of the fine tan substance began to accumulate at the tops of most bottles. A quick shake sends it back into suspension, and I'm pretty sure it's not bacteria. The beer is otherwise very clear. Head retention has been interesting, with results varying widely based on how/into what I pour the beer. Sometimes the head is disappears almost immediately, having behavior that resembles the head on Pepsi. Other times, when I do a particularly vigorous pour, it comes out like this:

...and hangs around for a good 20-count. I did my best to rack under the oil at the top, but this behavior, combined with the tan scum presence and a slightly non-uniform color to the head, makes me believe that even more extended settling time in secondary is necessary if head retention is a priority. Personally, I'm not too disappointed.

Mouthfeel was surprising: not as thick or full-bodied as I expected. The first bottle I had almost reminded me of pop, while later ones have seemed heavier. Despite the lactose and cara-pils, it's not nearly as creamy as I expected from a full-on stout, but is noticeably heavier than the brown ale that I brewed a few months ago.

Finally, flavor. There's a heinous amount going on in this beer, as expected. The aroma is very nutty, though more like "cooked peanuts" than "fresly-opened jar of nuts". The chocolate comes through on the aroma, as well, but isn't as well-defined. Any hop aromas are fleeting. Up-front taste is sweetness from the lactose and malt. Then comes a very flabby chocolate flavor, and immediately after comes the peanut flavor. They really run together, and I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of flavor definition. However, the finish is all peanuts. Like with the aroma, you can tell the nuts have been cooked. For anyone wanting to brew this, let me be clear: It does NOT taste like a Reese's peanut butter cup. The flavor isn't as sharp, more like chocolate peanut butter ice cream, and the flavors are darker and gentler. Any hop flavors really need to be hunted for.

If I were to do this again, I would make a few changes. First, I'd drop the chocolate, or perhaps use extract instead of cocoa. The flavor isn't really defined, and just gets in the way. Hand-in-hand with this, I would reduce the amount of lactose. Also, I might take some of the PB2 that was added during the boil and add it to the quantity which was steeped in vodka and put into secondary. This will probably add more "tan oil scum" to the final result, but it's obvious that some of the peanut flavor was subdued by cooking during the boil.

Verdict: 3 jars of PB2 in the boil + 1 jar&vodka in secondary WILL get you a nice peanut aroma and flavor in your beer. It's not a "fresh peanuts" flavor, and it's not a "Reese's peanut butter" flavor, but it is distinctly peanutty and is pretty delicious.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #34
shauntraxler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thank you for that write-up dude. I've been sampling mine off and on for a few weeks now. I failed and undercarbed my entire batch. I am going to let 'er sit for a couple months and see if I get any better carb. Still though, I recommend taking your brew and blending it with some Framboise! It, honest to goodness, tastes like a PBnJ sandwich.

-Hop Head's Weizen-bock (RECIPE)
-Cucumber and Coriander Wheat (RECIPE)
-Banana's Foster Ale (RECIPE)
-90 Minute IPA

Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #35
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've got 4lbs of PB Powder on its way. Going to do a 6% porter with chocolate malt for a quick turn around brew (a friend requested it for his b-day party) and then do another PB Cup stout with some modifications. Excited to tackle this one again!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #36
shauntraxler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
I've got 4lbs of PB Powder on its way. Going to do a 6% porter with chocolate malt for a quick turn around brew (a friend requested it for his b-day party) and then do another PB Cup stout with some modifications. Excited to tackle this one again!
Sweet, definitely let us know when you get underway!
-Hop Head's Weizen-bock (RECIPE)
-Cucumber and Coriander Wheat (RECIPE)
-Banana's Foster Ale (RECIPE)
-90 Minute IPA

Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #37
bill42
Recipes 

i know this is a old thread but has anyone tried using liquid peanut butter extract instead of the powder? the extracts are lorann oils are pretty cheap compared to the powder

Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
GatorBeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. I racked a brown ale onto a freshly cracked jar of PB2 and a few weeks later had an infection. It was my first infection so I'm not sure what to say about it. In the future I'd boil a little water and add the PB2, then add that to the fermenter. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply