Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > PB2 Peanut Butter Powder Utilization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #21
DeadYetiBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I don't want that flavor in my beer at all, so I was thinking about using a chocolate flavored vodka I saw when a friend of mine ordered a chocolate martini.
The vodka you're looking for is by Van Gough, at least that's the best.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I actually went with 3 olives.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #23
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I finally thieved another sample last night and WOW!!! The aroma was about 90% peanut butter. There's a lot going on in this stout, so the peanut flavor wasn't as present in the taste, but it was definitely there.

Two concerns:

I think I used a little too much cocoa powder. It's very chocolaty and the chocolate flavor is very dark. I need to figure out how to get a milk chocolate flavor to come through the next time.

Second, there was an oil sheen on the top of the sample, which I'm guessing was peanut oil. This will surely affect the head retention, but since this is for personal consumption and not for contest, I don't really care much.

So my thoughts are that the PB Powder is much, MUCH better used in secondary than in the 60 minute boil. I'm kegging this one up shortly after our Devil's Night party and will be enjoying it through December easily...

Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #24
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good to hear. I'm guessing my 6 jars of PB2 and two cans of chocolate are going to be a little much. Oh well, I was going for a full on reeses stout, so I guess I'll get it.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #25
shauntraxler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm going to brew this either tonight or tomorrow (depending on when my PB2 gets here).

First, I'm only doing a 2.5ga batch so keep that in mind. I have decided to boil 1 jar each of the regular, and the chocolate PB2. I will add 1/3 of each jar at 3 different times during the boil. (45,30,5)

After reading just about every post in every PB Cup Stout or Porter thread, I have decided this likely won't produce enough PB flavor. That said, I plan on racking over 1 to 1.5oz of both chocolate AND peanut butter extract in my secondary. I chose the extract route over additional powder or vodka infusion simply because I will be bottling straight from my secondary and cannot afford excessive sludge.

At bottling time, I will decide whether or not to add additional extract to the brew.

Would anyone care to input?

Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #26
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntraxler View Post
I'm going to brew this either tonight or tomorrow (depending on when my PB2 gets here).

First, I'm only doing a 2.5ga batch so keep that in mind. I have decided to boil 1 jar each of the regular, and the chocolate PB2. I will add 1/3 of each jar at 3 different times during the boil. (45,30,5)

After reading just about every post in every PB Cup Stout or Porter thread, I have decided this likely won't produce enough PB flavor. That said, I plan on racking over 1 to 1.5oz of both chocolate AND peanut butter extract in my secondary. I chose the extract route over additional powder or vodka infusion simply because I will be bottling straight from my secondary and cannot afford excessive sludge.

At bottling time, I will decide whether or not to add additional extract to the brew.

Would anyone care to input?
There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on when and how much to add to get the best results. I say just go for it and keep detailed notes.

We drank the last bottle of mine last Sunday and the peanut butter aroma and backend flavor were still spot on. The chocolate had mellowed a lot and it was really well balanced. My sister is now hounding me to brew this one again...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #27
shauntraxler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Good deal. Thanks. I'll keep HBT updated with it.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #28
shauntraxler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Brewed last night. Here's a link to the recipe.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/extr...0/#post2704079

Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #29
ajfranke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm also giving a similar extract recipe a go right now: http://hopville.com/recipe/525367/sw...tter-cup-stout

I just racked it to secondary last night, and it's already going through a re-invigorated bout of fermentation today (either from the addition of PB powder, or just rousing the yeast).

Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #30
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfranke View Post
I'm also giving a similar extract recipe a go right now: http://hopville.com/recipe/525367/sw...tter-cup-stout

I just racked it to secondary last night, and it's already going through a re-invigorated bout of fermentation today (either from the addition of PB powder, or just rousing the yeast).
The PB powder has a decent amount of sugar in it, so I'm guessing that's the reason for the new fermentation. The bonus is that you don't have to worry at all about oxygen in the headspace of the secondary

Quick Reply