Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > PB2 Peanut Butter Powder Utilization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i've used regular peanut butter in a few of my earlier brews. about a cup into a two gallon batch. the flavor comes through great, but the head retention is around -100%. There's a thread around here somewhere about drying out the peanut butter to get rid of all the oils.
For the naysayers, drink a good beer and eat a spoonful of peanut butter at the same time=delicious

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have an apricot ale in the pipeline. Maybe if someone has a witbread we can make a PB&J!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I hope this thread continues, as a chocolate peanut butter porter or stout would be awesome! Just a noooob thought: Why not use the shells from roasted peanuts? If you have ever eaten one, they do have the peanut flavor without the problems with oils and head retention. Just a thought ....

Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm finally going to brew this next weekend. My goal is to make a chocolate stout akin to Southern Tier's Choklat and add the PB Powder to it at 60 minutes and then some vodka soaked powder to secondary after 2 weeks. Going to use the yeast cake from the pale that's fermenting now (WLP002) and shoot for 1.11 or so.

Here's the recipe as it is in my head (likely to change as I go buy the grains):

Peanut Butter Cup Stout
Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 6.1 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes
Grain weight 22 pounds
Efficiency 70%

Original gravity 1.109
Final gravity 1.037
Alcohol (by volume) 9.5%
Bitterness (IBU) 54
Color (SRM) 77.6°L
Yeast White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
13 pounds - 2 Row Base 37ppg, 1.5°L
4 pounds - Maris Otter 38ppg, 4°L
1.5 pounds - Barley (Roasted) 28ppg, 500°L
1 pound - Chocolate 29ppg, 350°L
1 pound - Special B 30ppg, 140°L
0.5 pounds - Crystal 120L 33ppg, 120°L
0.5 pounds - Barley (Flaked) 32ppg, 2°L
0.5 pounds - Black Patent 27ppg, 500°L

Mash
60 minutes,
Strike Target 154°F
Sparge Target 170°F

Boil
60 minutes, 6.1 gallons
Warrior hops 16%, Pellet 1.5 ounces 60 minutes
PB Powder 8 ounces 60 minutes
Cocoa powder 8 ounces 60 minutes
Mount Hood hops 5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces 30 minutes
Mount Hood hops 5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces 5 minutes (+55)

Ferment
14 days @ 65-68°F
Peanut butter powder soaked in vodka 8 ounces 14 days
Cocoa powder soaked in vodka 8 ounces 14 days

Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #15
ChillyP
Recipes 

Bump? Any results???

Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

It's still sitting in primary in my basement. Too hot in my garage for me to want to spend an hour cleaning and sanitizing the secondary and siphoning tubes. I'll try to get it done this week and will put up some tasting notes from the gravity sample. I've had 8oz of PB Powder soaking in vodka since brewday that will go into secondary.

I decided against breaking this up into smaller test batches. I'll just brew it again with changes if I don't get the results I'm looking for.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
rmseven4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Our club got together and brewed a 5 gallon batch of Chocolate Covered Peanuts Stout for a homebrew festival this past year and it tasted great, especially as an ice cream float! We brewed up a nice Chocolate Stout and then added two jars of the peanut butter powder to secondary since I had done some research and read that one jar only added a slight peanut flavor. We just dumped the powder straight from the jar. One word of caution is to remember that the powder contains some sugars so there will be a secondary fermentation.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmseven4 View Post
Our club got together and brewed a 5 gallon batch of Chocolate Covered Peanuts Stout for a homebrew festival this past year and it tasted great, especially as an ice cream float! We brewed up a nice Chocolate Stout and then added two jars of the peanut butter powder to secondary since I had done some research and read that one jar only added a slight peanut flavor. We just dumped the powder straight from the jar. One word of caution is to remember that the powder contains some sugars so there will be a secondary fermentation.
it would be great if you could point me to the recipe for this. I am a peanut butter addict...

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #19
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Finally found the time and energy to rack this to secondary.

First taste was very green, but delicious nonetheless. Pretty complex flavors coming through already, but it's overwhelmingly chocolate right now. Other than a hint in the nose, you couldn't tell that there's any peanut butter in there. Maybe a little on the aftertaste, but I'm probably imagining that (wishful thinking?)...

I racked onto another 8 ounces of PB Powder that was soaked for a over a month with several shots worth of vodka. Am hoping the vodka pulls some of the flavor out and mixes in with the beer. It's certainly a great chocolate stout on its own, but I'm really hoping the peanut butter shows up.

I'll post again in 3-4 months when I'm ready to bottle this one.

On a related, positive note, the second running brown that I boiled with 8 ounces of Godiva chocolate turned out much better than expected. Since I don't have a refractometer, I likely rinsed the grains well past the low-sugar limit, but there isn't a hint of astringency or any other off flavors. I had to add a pound of DME and another pound of wildflower honey to get it to a respectable OG (1.051).

Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #20
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any updates on this? I'm going to be brewing a peanut butter chocolate stout this weekend and was wondering how much PB2 to add. I bought 4 jars of the chocolate PB2 and 4 jars of the regular.

My plans as of now (since people seem to be having problems with not enough peanut butter flavor) is to add 2 cans of regular PB2 at 60 minutes in the boil, 2 cans of Chocolate PB2 at 10 minutes along with 10-12oz of whatever chocolate I pick up. Then I'll add an additional 2 cans of chocolate PB2 to the secondary depending on how the flavor is.

I like your idea of soaking the PB2 in vodka, but I'm not a firm believer in vodka being a neutral flavored alcohol, and I can't stand the taste. I don't want that flavor in my beer at all, so I was thinking about using a chocolate flavored vodka I saw when a friend of mine ordered a chocolate martini.

I'm going a little crazy with the chocolate and PB2, but I'm wanting an intense reese's like taste paired with my normal house stout as a base. I tried a Reese's Stout this year at the Great Taste of the Midwest. It was brewed by Kuhnhenn's, but I can't seem to get any info from them.

I'd love to know how yours is coming along though.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply