Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > PB2 Peanut Butter Powder Utilization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Mischief_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default PB2 Peanut Butter Powder Utilization

Sorry for the new thread about this, but the original thread discussion its use" http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pean...-butter-61538/ is long and I want to try and focus on finding out how to best utilize this stuff.

So the product is PB2 from the Bell Plantation

The ingredients are:

Quote:
PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
Servings per container: 15
Amount per 2 Tablespoon serving (when mixed with water):
Calories: 45
Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Trans fat < 0.01 g
Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
Sodium 94 mg 4%
Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A < 1%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium <1%
Iron 0%
From what people have said in the other thread, they have used large quantities and had very little flavor in the end.

My primary question is how could we best utilize this product to gain the maximum amount of peanutbutter flavor in the end product?

Does anybody know when the best time to put this ingredient into the brewing process? Will it always settle out and leave very little in suspension or is it a matter of boiling it longer? Are peanuts soluble in alcohol or water at all?

What would be the maximum amount I could use based upon the salt content and not kill my yeast and/or the beer?

Any information you guys/gals have that would help me determine the best way to make my peanutbuttercup stout is greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Most flavors and aromas are alcohol soluble. So the best way to utilize may be to infuse neutral grain spirits. That raises the question who is better at dissolving peanut butter flavor in neutral grain spirits, you and me or a flavor extract company? You may get better results with a high quality extract.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

I'm wondering if I should just assault this brew with any and all forms of this powder that I can. Put it in at every hop addition, and in primary and secondary. I'll also soak several ounces in vodka for a month and dump that into secondary.

Although the problem with this method is that if it works, I won't know which method caused it to...

Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drat View Post
I'm wondering if I should just assault this brew with any and all forms of this powder that I can. Put it in at every hop addition, and in primary and secondary. I'll also soak several ounces in vodka for a month and dump that into secondary.

Although the problem with this method is that if it works, I won't know which method caused it to...
Yeah, you want to isolate variables - best bet might be to split batch it. Indications from the earlier threads are that late boil additions don't do much so I'd guess the best bet is to scrap that addition altogether, bump up the volume and include it for the full 60 minute boil. Then do some kind of split batch experimentation after primary fermentation. If you've got the fermenter space go one third as is, one third straight secondary addition and one third extract addition.

Hopefully at least one of the three will be in the ballpark of what you're looking for and will tell you where to go as far as experimenting with future batches.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispykid View Post
Yeah, you want to isolate variables - best bet might be to split batch it. Indications from the earlier threads are that late boil additions don't do much so I'd guess the best bet is to scrap that addition altogether, bump up the volume and include it for the full 60 minute boil. Then do some kind of split batch experimentation after primary fermentation. If you've got the fermenter space go one third as is, one third straight secondary addition and one third extract addition.

Hopefully at least one of the three will be in the ballpark of what you're looking for and will tell you where to go as far as experimenting with future batches.
I've only got the capacity to do a 6 gallon batch and divide it into two 3-gallon secondaries.

So once I get the ingredients and time (mid June probably), I'll brew a 6-gallon batch adding 4 oz at start of boil. I'll make a jar containing 4 oz and enough vodka to cover the powder at the same time and hold it for secondary.

After a month in primary, I'll rack to 2 different 3-gallon carboys. One with the peanutbutter vodka and one empty. After a 6-month rest, I'll sample both. I'll likely blend them both back together and keg 5 gallons and bottle 1.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
chrispykid
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I've only got the capacity to do a 6 gallon batch and divide it into two 3-gallon secondaries.

So once I get the ingredients and time (mid June probably), I'll brew a 6-gallon batch adding 4 oz at start of boil. I'll make a jar containing 4 oz and enough vodka to cover the powder at the same time and hold it for secondary.

After a month in primary, I'll rack to 2 different 3-gallon carboys. One with the peanutbutter vodka and one empty. After a 6-month rest, I'll sample both. I'll likely blend them both back together and keg 5 gallons and bottle 1.
Sounds like a great start. Please let me know how this turns out when you get around to it - I'm intrigued.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
rorypayne
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Please keep us posted because as all men know everything is better with peanut butter!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

i would do a batch (even if its a 1 or 2 gallon) of a light beer such as a blonde ale and add the same proportion of the powder.

that way you can see if its the dark roasty flavors covering the peanutbutter up

or if its powder not delivering on the flavor

Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
My primary question is how could we best utilize this product to gain the maximum amount of peanutbutter flavor in the end product?
Not to be a dick, but use it on a sandwich, and keep it out of your beer. Paenut butter beer just sounds wrong.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Not to be a dick, but use it on a sandwich, and keep it out of your beer. Paenut butter beer just sounds wrong.
To each his own.

Hell, with all the crazy shiat people put in beer nowadays, peanut butter and chocolate sound downright normal to me...

Quick Reply