Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > organic chemistry labs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Saccharomycetaceae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default organic chemistry labs

Hi,
Does anyone know where I could find some organic chemistry labs, or ideas for labs designed for an organic chemistry course.
I'm thinking things along the lines of hop oil extraction and the chemistry behind it or different malt things like the production of dimethyl sulfide pre and post fermentation or even yeast things. Getting into biochemistry would also be fine.
I'm a student who, due to my senior project which was to start a beer "CSA," has missed all of the organic chemistry labs this term and now am scrambling to due lab write-ups on things relevant to my education and project.
Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Zbay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You might want to check out the M.I.T. Open course ware, they have basic chemistry to physical chemistry. So I'm sure if you looked hard enough you would be able to find what you are looking for.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
Zbay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

here is the link to the home page hope that helps. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/materials-science-and-engineering/3-091sc-introduction-to-solid-state-chemistry-fall-2010/27-introduction-to-organic-chemistry/

Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Saccharomycetaceae
Recipes 

Great,
Thanks a lot. I'll check that out right now.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wait. So you missed a month or two of O-Chem labs, and you school is letting you make them up by writing about beer? Huh.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 02-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Saccharomycetaceae
Recipes 

Well, it's a little more intense than just, "writing about beer," but yes, I am allowed to do the same amount of work as everyone else at a different time to make up for work I missed. It's actually nice to study with people who are down to earth enough to realize that sometimes the curriculum isn't the only way to learn things and are willing to let motivated students pursue other paths that are more relevant to their education.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Zbay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Yea I must say that would be nice, I'm a chem major and I'm 99% sure my prof's wouldn't let me go out on my own like that. I guess I could do some guided research in beer with one of the o-chem guys but I would rather spend my free time drinking the beer.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
VipertheIV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomycetaceae
Well, it's a little more intense than just, "writing about beer," but yes, I am allowed to do the same amount of work as everyone else at a different time to make up for work I missed. It's actually nice to study with people who are down to earth enough to realize that sometimes the curriculum isn't the only way to learn things and are willing to let motivated students pursue other paths that are more relevant to their education.
Where are you currently attending?
~curious middle school educator

Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Since I never took organic chemistry I don't have any feel for what sorts of things go in the labs but one thing did come to mind: run through the oxidation states of ethanol i.e. add a bit of oxidizing agent to it noting production of acetaldehyde, easily detectable by smell. Add more oxidizing agent and note production of acetic acid - also easily detectable by smell. I suspect this may be too trivial but thought I'd throw it out anyway. Or if you want to stink up the place use butyl alcohol.

To do the same thing with more sophistication you could get one of those low level alcohol test kits that does the first oxidation with NAD in the presence of alcohol dehydrogenase and measures the NADH production by UV absorption and then catalyzes the second step with aldehyde dehydrogenase. Again the increase in NADH can be measured.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Regulation
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

^^^ I'm sure he could use the mass spec in the lab :P

Quick Reply