Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Opinions on my water report.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
hockypunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Opinions on my water report.

Hey guys I got my hands on my (fort worth)
city water report. I was wondering how this looks to a more experienced brewer. Any thoughts on styles of beer conducive to water like this? Should I look into RO and build my water? Should I filter? I don't have a filter yet but I can dilute with distilled water. Also the chloramines are 3.2ppm. Was planning in using campden tabs for my brew day tomorrow.

image-359396124.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There are a number of spreadsheets and Kia's new on line tool.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-ch...er-calculator/

Your best bet is to take your favorite recipe and enter it. At first glance to someone who is just now looking into the water chemistry thing, you will at least need RO to dilute some. Too get chloride and sufate levels up with the 'normal' tool kit you will be raising the calcium too.

But, best to get a tool and just look at the implications of your favorite recipes and go from there.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It doesn't look that bad excepting that the alkalinity is high and could require neutralization for many brews.

Going with the campden is a good idea. If the water tastes fishy or scumy, then filtration through an activated carbon filter should help.

Of course, to learn more about brewing water chemisty, visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website. While there, check out Bru'n Water. Most people find that its a pain to have to reload all of your data into a calculator for every brew. That is the advantage of having your own data in sheets on your own computer!

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Quick Reply