Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Olive Oil - Testing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #41
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
What you need to do is test a range of ethanol concentrations.

The problem with using a single concentration that kills 100% of the control cells is that it will be pretty darn toxic to the OO yeast, even if the hypothesis is correct that OO makes yeast more resistant. It is tough to see a significant difference in this experiment. The same goes for a too low concentration of ethanol.

The standard measurement for these studies is LD50, the dose of toxin that causes 50% lethality. Then compare LD50 of control versus OO yeast. Differences in that value tell you if OO has the effect of making yeast more resistant to ethanol.

I disagree, based on my explanation above. It is a much more detailed experiment to do it correctly.
I've done similar types of tests including ABV effects on yeast. You can see the results here:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...-on-yeast.html

Testing the effects of olive oil on attenuation is intriguing, although like others said, it has been done. If I was going to test it I would want to look at a fermentation with a high potential to stall and have a control that is not aerated and without olive oil that should stall as a comparison. It would have to be conducted in triplicate at a minimum and I would probably look at a few inoculation rates and gravities as well. These kind of tests take several hours to set up. 15-30 minuets per day to monitor progress and several hours at the end to collect the results. Then there are normally several hours of data processing and write ups. Also, if you are trying a new technique, or haven't done this type of testing before chances are that it will not produce adequate data.

Anything short of this level of testing leaves too many question marks in my mind.

But as for the test on the flavor effects as is being discussed in this thread. I think that's a great idea. I hope that there are enough people willing to contribute.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #42
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I’m bottling my olive oil experiment today. I was surprised to see they look different. They taste different too. The picture was taken at eleven days. OO is the one on the left.

Both batches started at 1.062 and finished at 1.017. The yeast was one day old slurry. The slurry was divided and warmed to pitching temperature. One starter got two drops of olive oil. Both fractions (200mL) got five hours (alternately) on the stirplate with 150 mL of fresh wort.

Both batches were poured through a funnel into five gallon carboys. That was the only aeration.

I’ll post tasting results when they’re available

3256.jpg  

Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #43
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
I’m bottling my olive oil experiment today. I was surprised to see they look different. They taste different too. The picture was taken at eleven days. OO is the one on the left.

Both batches started at 1.062 and finished at 1.017.........
I’ll post tasting results when they’re available
Nice. My first batch for this test is being bottled this weekend as well. The version with OO was 2 points lower 10 or 14 days in, but both finished the same. Will post that as I have tasting results...and at that time I'll setup a google doc or something to record results.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #44
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Honey-Orange Hefe - using WLP300

OG 1049
Batch w/ OO = FG 1010
Batch w/out = FG 1010

3 Taste testers, triple blind. 1 could not pick the beers that matched. Of the other 2 results, one preferred the OO, and one the batch w/out. But all comments were really that it was identical.

The batch with OO after 1 week was two points lower, but that was the only difference. Will keep putting these results, and other posted results, to an excel sheet.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #45
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2080 View Post
Honey-Orange Hefe - using WLP300

OG 1049
Batch w/ OO = FG 1010
Batch w/out = FG 1010

3 Taste testers, triple blind. 1 could not pick the beers that matched. Of the other 2 results, one preferred the OO, and one the batch w/out. But all comments were really that it was identical.

The batch with OO after 1 week was two points lower, but that was the only difference. Will keep putting these results, and other posted results, to an excel sheet.
Thanks. No surprise for me.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #46
Wynne-R
Recipes 

I am surprised, that is very different than my preliminary informal test.

I sprung a couple of bottles on some experienced judges. They only knew that it was an experiment with one slight difference.

They all thought the difference was in the hops. Four preferred the OO sample, one liked the regular, one had no preference. All perceived a substantial difference.

I will be running a large scale double blind test soon. Stay tuned !

Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 AM   #47
DocG308
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After going through this thread, I would like to add some points to ponder:
1) what kind of olive oil are you using? This is actually very important. The grades of oil have highly different flavors and robustness.
2) most olive oils sold in the US have been adulterated with grain oils, such as corn or canola. These oils have acids and oxidizers that can change the flavor of your beer. Since you don't know what oils or how much was used in your bottle of olive oil, the effect is unmeasurable because of its random nature.

My 2 pennies...
Doc

Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #48
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG308 View Post
After going through this thread, I would like to add some points to ponder:
1) what kind of olive oil are you using? This is actually very important. The grades of oil have highly different flavors and robustness.
2) most olive oils sold in the US have been adulterated with grain oils, such as corn or canola. These oils have acids and oxidizers that can change the flavor of your beer. Since you don't know what oils or how much was used in your bottle of olive oil, the effect is unmeasurable because of its random nature.

My 2 pennies...
Doc
The effect of different grades/types of olive oils when olive oil appears to have no effect in the first place...is still no effect...

Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #49
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
The effect of different grades/types of olive oils when olive oil appears to have no effect in the first place...is still no effect...
Not to mention that if you use enough to taste differences, you've used too much.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #50
Wynne-R
Recipes 

I have the results from the large scale double blind test. The audience survey split roughly in thirds. They had no idea what they were testing, or even if they were different. Sample size 75.

1. Prefer OO 37%
2. Prefer regular 32%
3. No preference/no difference 29%

Afterward I talked to individuals and asked if they had a favorite. The OO fans found it hoppier, brighter and sweeter. Regular was described as crisper drier and more balanced. The people that perceived a difference described it as substantial.

I am planning a triangle test soon.

Quick Reply