Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Need input on RO/DI system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 590 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0ngwh0ng View Post
ajdelange, I won't forget about you in my will.
I can PM info on where to send the money.

Quote:
So I understand that the output of these machines is a bit like the one of a water filter equipped fridge, since the system I'm looking at doesn't have a pressure tank.
In a sense but it removes more things than just the filter in most refrigerators.

Quote:
I haven't found any water diagnostic service where I live that is cheap enough.
An alternative is to buy a test kit from an aquarium supplier, water supplier, or water testing supply company (Hach, LaMotte...). This does not give you the complete picture that a lab test does but if you do go the RO route you will not need any testing beyond a simple TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) test which is easily done with an inexpensive electronic tester.

Quote:
Having all the ions removed would be a good thing for me, I guess, because my municipal water's ion content isn't constant.
That really is one of the major advantages of RO.

Quote:
...shipping charges are huge since I live in Canada, eh!)
I've noticed that but in La Belle Province what I notice even more are the appalling taxes. I live but 4 miles from the border so I just have stuff shipped to Vermont and can pop down there and pick it up quicker than I could get into the nearest real town in QC (Magog). Plus, depending on who is on at customs, I usually, but not always, avoid most of the tax.

I realize this isn't workable from Trois-Riviers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi,
I also am looking to purchase a ro/di system.
Since I have been using my buddies ro/di water he filters for his fish tank for brewing, my beers have never been better.

After reading these comments I am unclear about pros/cons of having the DI filter.
Can someone please explain what the cons are for the DI filter?

Also my local water comes from a river and 9 different wells, I am in the middle of the town.... I have NO idea what comes out of my tap at any one time... could be well water, could be STL river water or most likely an usknown ratio of blended water from the 2 sources.
Because of the unknown make up of my source water...how would I know what the 1-2% is left in my RO water that I would be brewing with?

If my thinking is correct and because of the unknown water make up I am leaning towards getting a DI filter.

thoughts?

thanks in advance
Kevin

Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 184 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
Hi,

Can someone please explain what the cons are for the DI filter?

Also my local water comes from a river and 9 different wells, I am in the middle of the town.... I have NO idea what comes out of my tap at any one time... could be well water, could be STL river water or most likely an usknown ratio of blended water from the 2 sources.
Because of the unknown make up of my source water...how would I know what the 1-2% is left in my RO water that I would be brewing with?

If my thinking is correct and because of the unknown water make up I am leaning towards getting a DI filter.
The primary Con is the additional cost with little useful benefit to brewery use.

Unless the water sources vary tremendously, the resulting variation in RO water quality is going to be quite small. With ion rejection in RO varying between about 92 and 99 percent depending on the ion, you can see that a 100 ppm variation in an ion concentration in the feed water will only result in about 8 ppm (or less) variation in that ion's concentration in the product water. That is a huge variation in feed water quality and a trivial difference in the product water. The only ion that I am concerned with that degree of precision is magnesium, since its recommended upper limit is only 40 ppm. All the rest of the ions can be off by double that amount and I wouldn't be concerned in my brewing. An additional bonus is that the rejection rate for Mg is more typically around 98% and that 100 ppm feed water variation would actually only produce a feed water Mg variation of about 2 ppm. Variation in feed water quality is only a small concern regarding product water quality.

Unless you have another use for your purified water that requires ion-free water, including DI in a brewing water treatment system is a waste of money.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
ajdelange
Recipes 

Liked 590 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No cons really except that the resins need to be replaced or recharged periodically and that's a bit more maintenance work. If you don't recharge them they won't remove the remaining ions but as you don't really need to remove the remaining ions why go to the trouble and expense? If you get a good package deal on an RO/DI system take it but you might want to bypass the DI part.

If you are experimenting with the effects of ions and really want to know ion content precisely then you might want to have the DI. If you are feeding a lab ultra pure water system the purer the water going in the longer the cartridges in that machine will last and you might want RO/DI feed for that reason.

Quick Reply