New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Need HELP! Water Report Missing Sodium - Thoughts?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
gavball6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gavball6's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 305
Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Need HELP! Water Report Missing Sodium - Thoughts?

Hi all,
Just got my water report, but it lists the Sodium results as "PENDING". Not sure what to do... Is there a typical (close enough) sodium number that I can plug into the EZ water calculator? Should I ignore and leave at zero? Here are the rest of my numbers:

Calcium 47 mg/L
Magnesium 16 mg/L
Sodium ???
Chloride 148 mg/L
Sulfate 49 mg/L
Alkalinity 85 mg/L

HELP???



__________________
gavball6 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
ajdelange
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 5,212
Liked 454 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

You should put sodium numbers into the spreadsheet until the profile balances electrically (or let the Solver do it for you if you know how to use it). That's not going to give you a spot on answer but given that all the other numbers are close and there aren't large amounts of fluoride, nitrate, nitrite, copper, iron, manganese, strontium.... in the water it will be approximately correct.



__________________
ajdelange is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,513
Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

EZ doesn't provide a user with any ability to evaluate if a water profile is balanced. Without that calculation, a brewer has no idea if the water information is remotely accurate. EZ also doesn't enable the user to figure out problems like this. That's why its EZ. Ignorance is Bliss!

Using Bru'n Water and an assumption that the other ion concentrations are correct and any non-reported ion concentrations (besides Na) are low, it appears that the sodium concentration may be around 75 ppm.

__________________

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

mabrungard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GotPushrods's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 331
Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
EZ also doesn't enable the user to figure out problems like this. That's why its EZ. Ignorance is Bliss!
I know you both have donation links in your sheets, but it doesn't have to be a competition. I would SWAG that many, MANY more scientific noobs have just given up 10 seconds after opening Bru'n Water than EZ. EZ is a simple model with a simple workflow, but it has it's place. My first car was 400 bucks with terrible hail damage and a frightening shudder at 64.5 MPH. It served me well. There are a few more opportunities to screw something up, but it's getting people into learning. Always good.



Unless lightning is currently striking your water sample, water is electrically neutral. The positive charges = the negative charges. If you are only missing one piece of information, you can solve for it.

Here's how you can do this, I'll get you started.

Google "periodic table" and find the atomic weights of each of those. Calcium is ~40.1 grams per mol, for example. (47 mg/l) / (40.1 g/mol) = 1.17 (mg/g) mol/L, or 1.17 "milli moles per liter" = 1.17 mmol/L.

But Ca has a +2 charge, so in equivalents, is is 2 * 1.17 = 2.34 mEq/L. Do this for everything you have. I'll help you out a bit: Instead of "alkalinity", use "bicarbonate"... HCO3. Use 103. Mg is +2 Eq, SO4 is -2 Eq, the others are +1 or -1 Eq.

Once you have the mEq/L numbers:

Positive = Negatives
Ca + Mg + Na = HCO3 + SO4 + Cl

Solve for your missing Na and work backward to your mg/L concentration. This is an excellent exercise to familiarize yourself with basic water chemistry. There are a few assumptions in here, but it's a great start.
__________________
GotPushrods is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
jmf143
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wixom, Michigan
Posts: 607
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPushrods View Post
I know you both have donation links in your sheets, but it doesn't have to be a competition. I would SWAG that many, MANY more scientific noobs have just given up 10 seconds after opening Bru'n Water than EZ. EZ is a simple model with a simple workflow, but it has it's place. My first car was 400 bucks with terrible hail damage and a frightening shudder at 64.5 MPH. It served me well. There are a few more opportunities to screw something up, but it's getting people into learning. Always good.



Unless lightning is currently striking your water sample, water is electrically neutral. The positive charges = the negative charges. If you are only missing one piece of information, you can solve for it.

Here's how you can do this, I'll get you started.

Google "periodic table" and find the atomic weights of each of those. Calcium is ~40.1 grams per mol, for example. (47 mg/l) / (40.1 g/mol) = 1.17 (mg/g) mol/L, or 1.17 "milli moles per liter" = 1.17 mmol/L.

But Ca has a +2 charge, so in equivalents, is is 2 * 1.17 = 2.34 mEq/L. Do this for everything you have. I'll help you out a bit: Instead of "alkalinity", use "bicarbonate"... HCO3. Use 103. Mg is +2 Eq, SO4 is -2 Eq, the others are +1 or -1 Eq.

Once you have the mEq/L numbers:

Positive = Negatives
Ca + Mg + Na = HCO3 + SO4 + Cl

Solve for your missing Na and work backward to your mg/L concentration. This is an excellent exercise to familiarize yourself with basic water chemistry. There are a few assumptions in here, but it's a great start.
And all that is easier than using Bru'n Water? Nope.
__________________
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur
jmf143 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GotPushrods's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 331
Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143

And all that is easier than using Bru'n Water? Nope.
Of course not. Bru'n water is a great (and free) tool. I used it to verify my math.

But the question was asked in the Brewing Science forum where many people come, presumably, to learn to fish. Not just be thrown a meal.
__________________
GotPushrods is offline
ajdelange Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
mgortel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stewartstown, PA
Posts: 675
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I assume you got a water report from your local utility and did not send it off to a place like Ward laboraties (cause I cannot imagine a company not giving you the full report).

You may want to consider sending a sample from YOUR FAUCET into Ward laboratories anyway.....only $16.50 for report.

__________________

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Irish Red
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
Dry Stout

Bottled:
Bee Cave Hefeweizen
Sweet Stout
Nut Brown

mgortel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
ajdelange
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 5,212
Liked 454 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Don't send it from your faucet if you have a water softener installed (which you might as your water is pretty hard). In that case take the sample from before the softener as that is the water you will be brewing with.

__________________
ajdelange is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
mgortel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stewartstown, PA
Posts: 675
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Don't send it from your faucet if you have a water softener installed (which you might as your water is pretty hard). In that case take the sample from before the softener as that is the water you will be brewing with.
Good point! I wasn't even thinking about that....good catch. Point is....send a sample from exactly where you will be using the water from....
__________________

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Irish Red
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
Dry Stout

Bottled:
Bee Cave Hefeweizen
Sweet Stout
Nut Brown

mgortel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I posted this in a different topic, but I think it belongs here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavball6 View Post
Hi all,
Just got my water report, but it lists the Sodium results as "PENDING". Not sure what to do... Is there a typical (close enough) sodium number that I can plug into the EZ water calculator? Should I ignore and leave at zero? Here are the rest of my numbers:

Calcium 47 mg/L
Magnesium 16 mg/L
Sodium ???
Chloride 148 mg/L
Sulfate 49 mg/L
Alkalinity 85 mg/L

HELP???
that's easy. Go here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/

enter your values but leave sodium empty. Now hit update calculations and show the report in the source water section. Look at the ion balance and increase sodium until the ion balance is close to 0. you'll have to keep hitting the update button. I got a sodium level of about 75. That's pretty high.

Kai


__________________
BrauKaiser.com - brewing science blog - Twitter - water and mash chemistry calculator
Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Report, Thoughts? BreezyBrew Brew Science 10 12-27-2012 06:24 PM
Water Report, Thoughts? BreezyBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 12-14-2012 02:20 PM
Water Report- St Anthony MN- Thoughts? mmmbeer Brew Science 13 05-17-2012 07:20 PM
Missing Information in my water report HopRodGR Brew Science 3 04-25-2012 01:17 PM
Louisville, KY Water Report - Any thoughts? robtotten Recipes/Ingredients 3 12-14-2010 08:56 PM