New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Multiply Sulfate by 3?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Snafu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Multiply Sulfate by 3?

I saw this posted in our local brew club news, that if you get a water report from Ward labs, they report Sulfates as SO4-S and not SO4 so you need to multiply that # by 3 to use with the various brew sheets. Anyone heard of they? I'm looking for verification.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

it's true.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I saw this posted in our local brew club news, that if you get a water report from Ward labs, they report Sulfates as SO4-S and not SO4 so you need to multiply that # by 3 to use with the various brew sheets. Anyone heard of they? I'm looking for verification.
It's very plain on their reports. Sulfate is listed SO4-S (and nitrate as NO3-N i.e. as nitrogen as well). I assume this is because Ward Labs serves the agricultural industry where they are more concerned about how much nitrogen or sulfur gets applied to an acre than what salt it is carried in.

If you want to verify this try adding up the anions listed on a Ward Labs report assuming the sulfate is listed "as sulfate" and then again after multiplying by 3 (assuming it is as Sulfur). You'll get the right answer if you multiply by 3.

Finally, someone called the place and asked Dr. Ward directly. He confirmed that it is, just as it says on the report, "as sulfur".

Quick Reply