Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Mmmm mr. yeast, please eat this

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
tandpbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mmmm mr. yeast, please eat this

So, hypothetically speaking, if someone were to try and do something creative in a brew, but accidentally ended up with a large amount of high fructose corn syrup in their beer (say from not reading the ingredients list on something)...
Let's assume this beer did not ferment all the way (no surprise, s-04 doesn't eat HFCS...).

Naturally this beer would taste oversweet due to unfermented sugars.
Is there any yeast that could digest HFCS? I'm thinking maybe brettanomyces, I know White Labs sells some (or I could just hope for a very kind strain to eventually infect my beer...)

Anyone know if this could do it?
If not, is there any fining that drops unfermented sugars out? Gelatin?

...hypothetically of course.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Is HFCS non fermentable? I dont think it is. What is your recipe? What temperature are you fermenting at? How long has it been there? OG, expected FG & current gravity? If you are under attenuated, there could be other reasons.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Many strains of brettanomyces can eat all kinds of normally unfermentable sugars. Not sure if HFCS is one of them though

Not sure you want to go the funky route, but it could be an option.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
donaldson
Recipes 

Default Beano

I'm not sure that the HFCS is the problem either. But, if you are looking to break down the more complicated sugars, then try a little Beano. It has worked for me in the past.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

HFCS isn't a kind of sugar, it's corn syrup with a higher than normal level of fructose. Fructose is 100% fermentable by yeast, so the HFCS likely isn't the problem. What did you add that had corn syrup in it, it may have also contained something to prevent infection, potassium benzoate for example.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
HFCS isn't a kind of sugar, it's corn syrup with a higher than normal level of fructose. Fructose is 100% fermentable by yeast, so the HFCS likely isn't the problem. What did you add that had corn syrup in it, it may have also contained something to prevent infection, potassium benzoate for example.
and by "you" he meant "the definitely-not-you person in your hypothetical scenario" of course

Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

HFCS is very very ferment-able. It's not some fake sugar or anything, it's just corn syrup with more fructose in it.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

And corn syrup is simply corn starch that has been enzymatically converted to glucose monomers (ala Beano). For HFCS, additional enzymes convert some of the glucose to fructose which is sweeter tasting, so you get less calories with more sweetness.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

and as a side note, with all the HFCS being bad and all, while I haven't seen a study either way yet... but fructose is the sweetest sugar, so I would think you could use less and reduce the overall amount of sugar while maintaining the same sweetness... although fructose tastes different from sucrose and glucose.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
and as a side note, with all the HFCS being bad and all, while I haven't seen a study either way yet... but fructose is the sweetest sugar, so I would think you could use less and reduce the overall amount of sugar while maintaining the same sweetness... although fructose tastes different from sucrose and glucose.
HCFS is effectively identical to invert sugar: healthwise it's not going to be any different for you than honey or candi sugar, or even cane sugar for that matter, but it just tastes different because of a different source. Some research has shown that it's potentially less healthy than pure glucose, but pure glucose/dextrose isn't commonly used to sweeten drinks either because its less sweet. People get upset about it because of misreading said studies and because of fear that there's something "fake" about it being processed with microbe-derived enzymes - something that brewers should be less skittish about.

More on topic, what I said above applies the same to yeast as it does to people: Corn sugar, cane sugar, and HCFS are all quickly and completely fermentable by yeast. So I'm wondering, did this hypothetical situation have regular corn syrup involved? The sort you can buy at the supermarket tends to have a lot of unfermentable sugars and dextrins in it as I understand, so would cause the problem described.

Quick Reply