Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Mixing brew salts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Double-R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mixing brew salts

At the moment, I'm keeping the salts separate. Each in its pile on a plate the night before brew day. Can I mix them all together, are there some that shouldn't be. Like pickling lime can that be mixed with gypsum... Etc.?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

No, they won't react with each other. I assume you are saying that you are measuring out the mashing and sparging additions based on their water volumes the night before and just leaving them on the plate, premeasured. That is OK.

But you wouldn't want to store some of your minerals outside of a closed container since they can pick up moisture. This is particularly important for calcium chloride, since it will suck moisture from the air and you will end up with a wet mess if that stuff is left out long enough.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply