LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
kappclark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Measuring yeast volume

I have a collection of Yeast slurry (Nottingham) which I would like to make a starter from.

Can anyone suggest a measuring instrument to get the right amount of yeast for the 1L starter for a 1050 Ale ? I have read where some folks just wing it, but I would prefer not to (smile) ..

I was thinking a graduated cylinder, (if so, where is the best place to get one?) and assume a 80% viability for the yeast (it was washed and is less than 1 week old) ... I was thinking I would measure off the amount equal to abt 1 vial of White labs yeast ..(does anyone know what that amt is ? )...I know that there are some assumptions here, making this something of a black art ..

I figure if I am going to the trouble of making a starter for proper pitch rate, I might as well start with the right amount!

THX

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Amiaji
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The White Labs vials are 60ml.

Beer is for drinking,
Homebrew is for sharing.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

many use about 250 billion cells or ~8 oz of slurry. Notty is dirt cheap so always use fresh and only wash the WL yeast, so I have no experience with it.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Amiaji
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Mr Malty Pitch Rate Calculator has a section on re-pitching from slurry you might want to check out.

Beer is for drinking,
Homebrew is for sharing.

Quick Reply