The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Measuring Mash PH

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
craigevo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Reading the email reply from the supplier of the strips states "The sensitivity of the part
number is 0.2-0.3 pH units." implying that it could be plus or minus 0.3. Maybe Kai's batch just happened to read 0.3 low ?

So, this would suggest that you could be 0.6 out if you assume its reading 0.3 low, but the batch you happen to get actually read 0.3 high !

Anyone else compared these colorphast strips with pH meter ? I have just order some myself and would like to know if they are always minus 0.3 - if so then fine. If not then they are basically a waste of time right ?

On second thoughts, maybe the "sensitivity" quotes is actually referring to the graduation of the readings !

Last edited by craigevo; 12-08-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigevo View Post
Reading the email reply from the supplier of the strips states "The sensitivity of the part
number is 0.2-0.3 pH units." implying that it could be plus or minus 0.3. Maybe Kai's batch just happened to read 0.3 low ?

So, this would suggest that you could be 0.6 out if you assume its reading 0.3 low, but the batch you happen to get actually read 0.3 high !

Anyone else compared these colorphast strips with pH meter ? I have just order some myself and would like to know if they are always minus 0.3 - if so then fine. If not then they are basically a waste of time right ?

On second thoughts, maybe the "sensitivity" quotes is actually referring to the graduation of the readings !
IIRC, Kai gathered data from several people on the pH strips and conducted some experiments. It's probably posted somewhere on his Braukaiser.com site.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

He checked my ColorPhast strips, was the same as he had found on his own strips.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigevo View Post

Anyone else compared these colorphast strips with pH meter ?
Several people. They read, on average, .3-.4 units low for mashes (whether this is simply a function of being in that range or a physical feature of the mash, I do not know). This is true for several different packages of Colorphast strips purchased from different places at different times.

This is different from the fact that the points that you can read are far apart. So you have the issue that you can only tell the pH within a couple tenths because the resolution is poor and also that whatever you do read is .3-.4 low on average.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 14

IOW bias error, random error and lack of precision.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My biggest hesitation to buy a decent $100 meter is the process of calibration, storage and ultimate probe replacement at regular intervals. This isn't a tire pressure gauge.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #17
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
My biggest hesitation to buy a decent $100 meter is the process of calibration, storage and ultimate probe replacement at regular intervals. This isn't a tire pressure gauge.
Meh, I bought a $30 one, with an $18 replacement probe. It's close enough to get me in the proper range for beer making. Unlike test strips, it at least tells me something.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #18
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm kind of hard-wired to "buy a good tool, buy it once." It's hard for me to accept that if I buy a pH meter, I'm basically going to have to buy it all over again within a few years. Even the meters with the replaceable electrodes, I've seen $70 meters where the replacement electrode is $50 or $55.

EDIT: A $30 tool that needs an $18 replacement, that I could live with. It may be psychological more than anything, but if I'm paying more than $50 for a tool I hate for it to be basically disposable.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Correct me if i'm wrong..... After checking several styles of mashes and knowing what it takes to adjust them, constant ph checking shouldn't be necessary?

If so, it's not like you're going to be buying tons of replacement probes.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

... but if you HAVE a pH meter, why on earth wouldn't you use it on every batch just to check? Seems to me that would be like saying, "I've brewed this recipe a half-dozen times before, I'm not going to break out the refractomer/hydrometer this time." I mean, you'll likely be fine, likely be within the expected range, but why have the tool if you're not going to use it?

I'm also not sure whether the probes degrade over time (with or without use), or whether they only degrade when actually being used.

Quick Reply