New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Mash vs Sparge additions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 13

No, I don't recommend that but I don't recommend against it either. If you monitor runoff pH and extract and they are within bounds on the second batch I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it that way but I don't really see any advantage over the more traditional sparging method either. Doesn't mean there may not be some for your particular situation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange
No, I don't recommend that but I don't recommend against it either. If you monitor runoff pH and extract and they are within bounds on the second batch I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it that way but I don't really see any advantage over the more traditional sparging method either. Doesn't mean there may not be some for your particular situation.
I think some people, including myself have gotten better efficiency with this method. If I use the method I reach 70-75 efficiency in my system. If I do the single sparge, I miss my target

Old 01-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
kenc_zymurgy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
I don't know what "effective alkalinity" is. Sounds like something from one of the spreadsheets but I can't even look at those. Since Microsoft has "improved" their software I can no longer spreadsheets from versions of Excel earlier than 2011 and I can't run versions earlier than 2011 with Apple's "improved" operating system.
You've helped us so much with water chemistry, maybe I can return the favor with a little spreadsheet help?

The programs should be able to read older versions, but I have seen Microsoft screw this up in the past. A couple ideas:

1) Rather than just double-clicking the file, or right-click and 'open', try going to your spreadsheet program and selecting File/Open from the menu of the spreadsheet program, and drill down to where the file is. You might have a problem where the file is not associated with your newer program - this should get around that.

2) Download LibreOffice. This is open source and free, and they will load just about anything (macros can be a problem though).

Home » LibreOffice

-kenc

Quick Reply