Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Mash thickness as a pH adjustment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
BackAlley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mash thickness as a pH adjustment

Hi,

Am planning an upcoming pilsner. I have pretty low alkalinity water (37ppm) and it looks like I may have to add some acid when I brew.

If I use a thinner mash, according to the spreadsheet, I still may have to acidify but probably have to use less acid. I'm assuming this is because I'm adding more bicarbonate ions with the larger volume of mash water.

My question is, why don't I read about using mash thickness as one of the knobs to adjust pH?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
BackAlley
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackAlley View Post
Hi,

Am planning an upcoming pilsner. I have pretty low alkalinity water (37ppm) and it looks like I may have to add some acid when I brew.

If I use a thinner mash, according to the spreadsheet, I still may have to acidify but probably have to use less acid. I'm assuming this is because I'm adding more bicarbonate ions with the larger volume of mash water.

My question is, why don't I read about using mash thickness as one of the knobs to adjust pH?
Actually, forget everything I wrote, I goofed the spreadsheet up....again.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 634 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It depends on the spreadsheet you are using (i.e. on how accurately it models bicarbonate chemistry). The bicarbonate (and carbonate) if any contribute to the proton deficit of the water. The lower the proton deficit of the water the fewer protons are needed from other mash materials and the lower the pH will be. If you have a water with total proton deficit of 100 mEq and mash grains + acid with a total proton deficit of -100 mEq at some pH things balance at that pH and it is the mash pH. If you now increase the water quantity by 10% you are adding 10% more proton deficit for the water (you now have 110). Proton deficit decreases as pH increases. The pH will thus shift higher reducing the water proton deficit to something less than +110 and decreasing the proton deficit of the acid + grains to something less than -100 (e.g. + 105 and - 105 so again you have balance). Thus adding water that is alkaline increases mash pH. If the alkalinity is low the shift will be small. There is also buffer 'dilution effect'. Without going into detail it should be clear that a pH 5.4 mash diluted infinitely with pure water will have a pH of 7.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
. . . diluted infinitely with water will have a pH of 7.
Are we to assume DI water here AJ?

Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackAlley View Post
Hi,

I have found with my pilsners and light Belgians that replacing 1/4 pound of pilsner malt with 1/4 pound acidulated malt works wonders. I do start with RO water.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
Are we to assume DI water here AJ?
Yes. I changed it to say 'pure water'.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #7
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I have found with my pilsners and light Belgians that replacing 1/4 pound of pilsner malt with 1/4 pound acidulated malt works wonders. I do start with RO water.
Yes, 2-3% of your grist should be sauermalz for a Pils when starting from RO.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #8
burdbrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Great topic, I've been starting to kick the idea around in my head as well. Whenever I use a thinner mash, I notice my PH go down seemingly proportionally. Today I mashed a 2.5 SRM Pils pretty thin, used very little gypsum for calcium and hit PH almost too low (5.1). My water alkalinity resembles the OP's.

The wort was beautiful. It is said that wort profile will change based on mash consistency (I don't have any science behind it myself), but the proof will be in the end product. If the beer turns out (I suspect it will), I will use this technique as a rule.

Quick Reply