Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > malt testing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
DharkMeadBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default malt testing

So recently I have considered producing my own malt, But I want to test the malt I make to make sure it's suitable. I know I could just brew with it and see what happens but I'd really rather not swing that way.

so the tests I think I've figured out is

% water- place grain in a vacuum, the water will "boil" out. Compare final weight to initial. subtract initial weight from final and divide by initial.

degrees linter- take some known quantities of gelitnized starch(probably quantities that a specific degree of L would convert, 35L 45L ect). put the varying quantities in test tubes in a metal test tube holder. Add some constant amount of prepared "wort." Immerse the test tube holder in a hot water bath (149 F) and hold for an hour and a half. test with each tube with iodine, starting with the lowest quantity of starch, and moving progressively until you reach a test tube that fails the starch conversion test. The last mark before you failed is the degrees L

fine grind extract- mill set to 2 mm, mash, test.

coarse grind extract- mill set to 7 mm, mash, test.

fine grind/ coarse grind- duh.

the one I'm not sure of is % protein. If anyone can help me out with this I'd greatly appreciate it. If anyone can see a better, faster, or cheaper method to testing my malt I'm all ears.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
DharkMeadBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

so after a bit of research at the local library (and looking at a study done to detmine if malting barley could be grown in maine) I found this method for determining protien content in grain Kjeldahl method which is just what I'm looking for!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply