New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Layering Beer Mechanism

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
The Blow Leprechaun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't even think about carbonation.

I think I'll just try to and design these beers to be carbonated to the same level, or maybe have decreasing carbonation as the gravities get lower.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post

I think I'll just try to and design these beers to be carbonated to the same level, or maybe have decreasing carbonation as the gravities get lower.
I don't think the issue is so much having lower carbonation in the lower gravity beer, more that it is not having a flat or over-carbonated beer on the bottom. The beer on the bottom needs to retain most of it's gas and at the same time not be too "heady".

Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 AM   #13
Absolut_Ninja
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korben View Post
I have something like this laying around here somewhere..
SWMBO gets mad when she finds a bent spoon laying on the counter in the mourn of March 18. I reminded her how alluring her beverage previously was.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #14
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
Carbonation doesn't really matter. It's easy to see that yourself: You can let the Bass and/or Guinness go completely flat and it doesn't affect how hard it is to pour a black and tan. It's all about the density (ie specific gravity).

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Carbonation doesn't really matter. It's easy to see that yourself: You can let the Bass and/or Guinness go completely flat and it doesn't affect how hard it is to pour a black and tan. It's all about the density (ie specific gravity).
I don't know that I agree with you on this. I know specific gravity is the major contributing force behind it, but we had many problems over the years, mostly with long draw systems that wern't balanced properly. We worked pretty closely with Guinness to on these issues (in the days prior to Deagio). Once we replaced lines for proper resistance, or adjusted psi output on the regulators, the problems went away. I estimate 30 - 40 accounts with similar problems over the years that Guinness was consulted on, and I trust those guys new what they were talking about.

Are you talking about pouring from a bottle or can? There is a lot less force when pouring a beer from bottle or can rather than dispensing from a keg. I have never seen a keg of Bass or Guinness go flat while pressurized by a dispensing system so I have no comparison there.

I don't dispute the fact that different gravities will layer regardless of carbonation, but I do know from experience that it is harder to keep them from "mixing" if there is not enough upward pressure from the bottom layer, specifically when poured from a pressurized system through a creamer faucet which, when set up correctly, does come out at a considerable force. The spoon can only disperse so much of the force.

Quick Reply