Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Lab results are in and need assistance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #21
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
Did you get this water out of the ocean?
Local tap water!

I think there will be a follow up test.

Edit: looking back to the past years water quality report, the listed values seem consistent. So no follow up testing.

"That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
j2bink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would like to purchase a meter today. Looking at the Milwaukee M102. I like the auto temperature comp that the 102 offers than the 100 and 101. I thought this units calibrates to 3 points? Also, I'm concerned with the maximum temperature of 158 F; I would like to record reading 15mins after doughing in. Depending on the style I may mash higher than 158 F and would like to use the functionality of the probe as well. Looks to be best instrument money can buy right now. Would this be a good and reliable meter to pick up if properly handled?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #23
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2bink View Post
I would like to purchase a meter today. Looking at the Milwaukee M102. I like the auto temperature comp that the 102 offers than the 100 and 101. I thought this units calibrates to 3 points? Also, I'm concerned with the maximum temperature of 158 F; I would like to record reading 15mins after doughing in. Depending on the style I may mash higher than 158 F and would like to use the functionality of the probe as well. Looks to be best instrument money can buy right now. Would this be a good and reliable meter to pick up if properly handled?
You want to take your reading at room temperature, so it doesn't matter that it only goes up to 158.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #24
j2bink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I find the procedure to cool the mash sample to calibrated temperature impractical. Obtaining pH measurements as quickly as possible after 15-20 minutes of doughing in is important. By the time I draw a mash sample and cool it in the freezer to the calibrated temp the infusion process is completed. This didn't allow time to make pH adjustments to the mash if necessary. Please shed some light!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I have the MW101, and I like it. As Afr0byte said, you want to measure at room temperature. ATC is a needless complication for our purposes.

Don’t forget to buy the 4.0 and 7.0 calibration solutions, and storage solution.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 587 Times on 485 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Three point calibration is not needed as you will be measuring between pH 4 and 7 most of the time. I don't think this meter has 3 point calibration anyway.

ATC is a good thing to have but you should always strive to have the calibration buffers and sample at about the same temperature (with ATC they don't have to be at exactly the same temperature). It's hardly a complication as it is automatic.

All sample and calibration (buffer) readings should be done at room temperature. This prolongs electrode life and makes your readings directly comparable to published pH readings, the values discussed here etc. Put the hot sample in a metal container and immerse in cold water for quick cooling.

Be sure to get storage solution and multiple packets or bottles of buffers. Meters need to be calibrated frequently with fresh buffers. See the pH Meter Calibration Sticky. Be sure to do the stability check. This is the main problem with inexpensive meters.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #27
j2bink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ajdelange,

would you confidently recommend the m102 as one of the best meters for under 100 dollars?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #28
ajdelange
Recipes 

No, I couldn't do that as I have never laid eyes on one nor done any testing on it. The only inexpensive meter I have tested is the Hanna pHep and conditionally recommend that if you take the steps to work around the instability that comes with inexpensive meters. I usually tell people to try to get their hands on a good used laboratory meter and spend the $100 - $200 on a good electrode for that meter. While I know some people who have been able to to do that I recognize that luck has a lot to do with their success.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
j2bink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The investment for the meter I'm comfortable with. What I'm unsure is the calibration, rinse, storage costs. If I brew every other weekend sounds like it can become costly to maintain. Can you use the same buffer and rinse solution during the entire brew day? Other words can I calibrate more than one time per day with the same buffer agent?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #30
ajdelange
Recipes 

Yes, you can if you follow the procedure in the sticky (i.e. rinse and blot each time before putting the electrode in the buffer). A very handy way of having fresh buffer is to by the capsules and mix the buffers each brew day. This will cost you perhaps $0.50 each time you make up a set. A pint of storage solution should last you a life time. You can buy a gallon of DI water at the drug store for $1.00.

Quick Reply