K-Meta + Gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything in the search with both these search terms.

If I'm calculating water additions on the EZ water calculator, do I need to consider my K-meta addition (to remove chloramine) when calculating sulfate content? Does K metabilsulphite make sulfate?

Thanks!

Does K metabilsulphite make sulfate?

Yes,

S2O5-- + 2H2NCl + 3H2O --> 2SO4-- + 2Cl- + 2 NH4+

but as there generally isn't that much chloramine in water the additional amount of sulfate is not that great. The maximum allowable chloramine is 3 mg/L as chlorine and if that amount is present 8.1 mg/L sulfate would be added to the water if enough metabite were added to completely convert it. This could be appreciable for, say, Bohemian Pils where you wouldn't want the total sulfate to be more than about 15 mg/L but in most cases it wouldn't be significant. Besides which the chloramine level is generally less than 3 mg/L. Excess metabite stays in solution as sulfite which is not detrimental in the same way as sulfate.

Yes,

S2O5-- + 2H2NCl + 3H2O --> 2SO4-- + 2Cl- + 2 NH4+

but as there generally isn't that much chloramine in water the additional amount of sulfate is not that great. The maximum allowable chloramine is 3 mg/L as chlorine and if that amount is present 8.1 mg/L sulfate would be added to the water if enough metabite were added to completely convert it. This could be appreciable for, say, Bohemian Pils where you wouldn't want the total sulfate to be more than about 15 mg/L but in most cases it wouldn't be significant. Besides which the chloramine level is generally less than 3 mg/L. Excess metabite stays in solution as sulfite which is not detrimental in the same way as sulfate.

Thanks for the explanation! It was my understanding that the kmeta would NOT affect the amount of sulfate in my water but I didn't know why. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back