Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Just brewed a beer with 308 IBUs, A little over the top?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
TIPA0303
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wait are you taking about 1.5 oz each hop for the first dry hop and then 0 5 oz each hop for the second dry hop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #22
TIPA0303
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also certainly don't believe Pliny the Elder is a 170 IBU beer. Tastes more like 110-120 at most.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #23
TIPA0303
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Pliny the Younger is a 190-200 IBU beer.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Tonight I had some friends over and we tasted this beer. It was great not too bitter and the aroma was even better. I know I put way to much hops in it but in the end it turned out great.

I would do it again.

4097L brewed since August 2011.

Hopper5000 Likes This 
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #25
austinb
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't get me wrong I think this was a cool experiment. However, as fun as it is to say you brewed a 300+ IBU beer at a certain point you are just wasting hops. There is an IBU ceiling where no matter how many hops you add it just doesn't get any more bitter. In addition our palates are only able to perceive hop bitterness up to a certain point. I wouldn't be surprised if you brewed the same recipe with half the hops it would taste very similar and the difference in bitterness would be insignificant if it was even perceptible.

Another factor you didn't mention was water. A 100 IBU beer with a high sulfate content in the brewing water may taste more bitter than a 300 IBU beer with a low sulfate water. Since you mentioned it wasn't extremely bitter I wonder if your water was low on Sulfates. Try adding a pinch of gypsum to a glass of the beer and seeing if it increases the bitterness.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPA0303 View Post
I also certainly don't believe Pliny the Elder is a 170 IBU beer. Tastes more like 110-120 at most.
Keep in mind that Pliny was tested (the IBUs were measured) and it's more like 85 IBUs.

There is a limit of the amount of hops oils that can isomerize in wort, and that max is +/- 100 IBUs or so.

Which means it's impossible to actually have a 100+ IBU beer, although the calculators don't take that into account and so anything with an IBU listed is a calculated theoretical amount.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #27
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinb View Post
Don't get me wrong I think this was a cool experiment. However, as fun as it is to say you brewed a 300+ IBU beer at a certain point you are just wasting hops. There is an IBU ceiling where no matter how many hops you add it just doesn't get any more bitter. In addition our palates are only able to perceive hop bitterness up to a certain point. I wouldn't be surprised if you brewed the same recipe with half the hops it would taste very similar and the difference in bitterness would be insignificant if it was even perceptible.

Another factor you didn't mention was water. A 100 IBU beer with a high sulfate content in the brewing water may taste more bitter than a 300 IBU beer with a low sulfate water. Since you mentioned it wasn't extremely bitter I wonder if your water was low on Sulfates. Try adding a pinch of gypsum to a glass of the beer and seeing if it increases the bitterness.
I don't doubt that for a minute. I have a pliny clone that is supposed to be 172 ibu and a Dog fish head 90' ipa that is supposed to be 111 ibu. The DFH feels so much more hop saturated than the Pliny. I was in a pissing contest with a homebrewer of mine. Plus had way too much hops.

I was just having fun and making sure some good hops whouln't go to waster.

I don't know about my water and can't be bothered to find out. When the beer is good it is very good..

As a homebrewer I couldn't care less about the wate.

4097L brewed since August 2011.

Quick Reply