New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Intentionally upping diacetyl levels.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
waldzinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Intentionally upping diacetyl levels.

Hi,

I realize that Diacetyl gets a bad rap, and for the most part, it's well deserved. Evil almost. However, I'm rethinking one of my fall pumpkin beers and want to increase the "butteriness" by upping the levels of diacetyl. I know that underpitching can produce higher levels of D. Are there any American Ale strains that are notorious for pumping out the D - similar to some of the British Ale yeasts that require the D-rest? I guess my concern with underpitching is that it's higher gravity (1.080), and I'd like it to finish around 1.018-1.020 or so, so underpitching probably would prevent me from getting there. Any thoughts? I don't want disgusting, but I do want some butteriness.

Thanks.

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply