Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Infection and Campden tablets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Default Infection and Campden tablets?

I seem to have this same infection once every year... Pretty darn sure that this isn't co2 or yeast. Tends to make the beer very sour. As of now, the flavor isn't bad, just a hint of sourness. If I can pull from the center and leave the s#!t on top in the bucket, I could force carb quickly and maybe drink the majority of it quick.

infection-7.6.11.jpg  

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Stained off all of the floating infection and tasted it, and was about to toss the batch, but couldn't let myself do it. I decided to try to pasteurize it, but upon further reading, I read that campden tablets sterilize wild yeast infections. Since fermentation is finished, i tossed 5 tabs into the five gallon batch, and am curious to see what happens.

The flavor isn't bad now, and if the infection dissapears, won't the flavor stay the same, and beer become okay?

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply