Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Identifying yeast without microscope

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2554 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 5747

Default Identifying yeast without microscope

I almost 100% sure there is no way to verify something is yeast without a good microscope and other expensive gadgetry. A couple days ago I made some agar wort and put it in petri dishes to collect some local yeast cultures. I have one dish that has what I believe to be yeast on it, but I wanted to let the experts take a look and give me a recommendation. Without a microscope I know the only way to know is to build it up and brew with it, but I'm just hoping for someone to tell me whether or not I am wasting my time. Thanks.

20130823_183959.jpg  

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
ajdelange
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm not an expert but I'd say no - the colony is too flat (or appears so in the photo). Yeast colonies, in my recall, tend to be more peaked but w/o a scope I certainly can't be sure.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I believe the yeast colonies tend to spread rapidly and tubular - not so much in circles?

It certainly is the right color/consistency. You could culture it and see what a starter smells like to form your opinion.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
I'm not an expert but I'd say no - the colony is too flat (or appears so in the photo). Yeast colonies, in my recall, tend to be more peaked but w/o a scope I certainly can't be sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanbenchurcat View Post
I believe the yeast colonies tend to spread rapidly and tubular - not so much in circles?

It certainly is the right color/consistency. You could culture it and see what a starter smells like to form your opinion.
Thanks for the replies. I know the picture sucks and I apologize for that. It certainly looks like yeast when I'm looking at it. I think I will build it up and see what happens.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 08-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Let us know what you get - and where did you place this originally? I am interested to do a wild brew next summer. I have a wild blackberry bush nearby that I suspect would make a great spot to harvest from.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanbenchurcat View Post
Let us know what you get - and where did you place this originally? I am interested to do a wild brew next summer. I have a wild blackberry bush nearby that I suspect would make a great spot to harvest from.
I placed the dishes next to an open window for about 2.5 hours then covered them and put them in my garage for a couple days. There aren't fruit bushes or trees in my yard, but there are some hop plants and other flowery plants my wife likes to grow.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Not sure why everyone tries to gather wild yeasts out of the air (the romantic notion that the organisms that ferment lambics come from the air via the cherry trees in Brussels? (disregarding the fact that Brussel's vast orchards are long gone and the organisms live pretty much everywhere in the brewery buildings now)*snicker*)...

Wild yeast already live on pretty much all wild fruit; you can even see the haze that they make on many fruits -plums & grapes as great examples; you want to get wild yeast in your area? Just peel the skin off of some local fruit and throw it in a teeny tiny starter / onto a petri dish then propogate it up from a good looking colony.

Easy peazy light and breezy!

Adam

Quick Reply