Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Ice paradox

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Ice paradox

Hello,
I have been reading up on the "Big Beers" and how to brew them. I was hoping to get some confirmation that I am not way off base here like another dry ice thread.
I am not trying to debate the legalities of Ice Distilling nor care to see this in the thread. It is 100% legal where I am, if it is not by you then don't do this!!!...

WARNING: The process that I am outlining here can be extremely dangerous as there IS a flammable gas involved, extreme temperatures and the use of known carcinogenic agents. IF you are going to try this please take precautions to protect yourself!!!!

My plan is to brew up a 20% "Big Beer" or as close as I can get to 20%. I understand the steps and the PITA it will be. I am hoping to use the freezing paradox/ice still to take the brew the last leg of its journey to +25% or stronger!
This winter I will set my "Big Beer" outside in the garage to get it as near freezing as possible. The issue is that at 20% it has to get really cold to even freeze a little (-15 f ). I read that in order to get it to 30% ABV it would need to -30 f. It gets cold here but not that cold out of the wind.
What if I took my "cold beer" (I am estimating around 3 gallons) and racked it to a 5 gallon SS brew kettle. Then took a 1 gallon brew kettle (suspended by a chain on a pulley?) added in a block of dry ice and then filled it 3/4ish with acetone and lowered this small kettle into the beer, without getting the dry ice/acetone in the beer (like a pot in a pot), would that be enough to freeze the water in the beer causing the ice paradox? or should I add in the dry ice, lower it in and then fill the small SS kettle w/ acetone? Would this work better with a small copper pot instead of SS? Does this even have a chance of working?

This should give me a temp that is just warmer than -108 f and EOTH freezes at -114 f. Is my science off or flawed here? This is the same principle that is used to overclock and cool computer chips for extreme competitions and I thought it may be able to be applied to home brewing.

Thanks for any advice/input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
HairyDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We don't do that here.
Try homedistiller.org.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yeah, if you were discussing freeze concentration of beer which IS legal, you could talk about it all you wanted on here, there's a few threads on it here, since the folks at Basic brewing talked to the ttb and found out that it is not illegal. But what you are talking about we don't talk about here. Sorry.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Zamial
Recipes 

My bad sorry if I made a "bad post" please delete if it is offending. I am still not sure what the difference between freeze concentration vs. distillation. I certainly do not want to cause issues for myself and/or others...let alone break any laws!

Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Start with this- http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...978705,00.html

Then this;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/free...lation-104882/

The Basic Brewing folks even demoed it here making a barleywine.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.ph...ywine-ice-beer

Here is it in action....

From here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/mystery-pic-182776/?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Buy a chest freezer.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Zamial
Recipes 

Ty Revvy again for good info.

I am not sure if what I proposed is illegal but I did get some good info. So I will leave it at that.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Revvy-
how is what he is proposing here not freeze concentration?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
My bad sorry if I made a "bad post" please delete if it is offending. I am still not sure what the difference between freeze concentration vs. distillation. I certainly do not want to cause issues for myself and/or others...let alone break any laws!
Distillation involves boiling and condensing said alcoholic beverage to separate the alcohol. Freezing, as you describe, is just a way to concentrate the alcohol. What you are describing is in no way distillation.

I think what you are describing would work depending on how much acetone you will need. You just have to be careful of the fumes and dry ice can behave violently when added to liquids.

A similar process (dry ice and acetone) can be used to freeze wine in the top of a champagne bottle prior to disgorging (removing the lees).
See:
http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/m...ampenoise-beer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgorging#Disgorging

Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I think it would be easier to use a chest freezer and/or glycol chiller than a dry ice/acetone explosive device.

Quick Reply