New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > I have never cared about mash ph until now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
The_Glue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
No such animal. You would supplement calcium with CaCl2 and/or CaSO4.

Not much. A tsp or tbsp per 5 gallons. It doesn't react. It's just there to provide something for the precipitating CaCO3 to grow on.

Not long. The reaction:

Ca++ + 2HCO3- ---> CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O

is pretty quick but you need to get the CO2 out for the reaction to proceed. In a small volume a couple of minutes should do. For 200 bbl you might need to boil longer than that.

Most people leave the water in the boiling vessel while it cools and settles then decant the cooled water off the precipitate and yes, you could do that when strike temperature is reached. Conceptually you could decant while the water is still hot (CaCO3 is actually less soluble in hot water than cold) but it does take some time for the stuff to settle out. I guess a fair criterion would be to decant as soon as the water is clear.
Thanks! I will buy the chemicals and will probably brew next weekend and report back in the topic of my ph measurements and stuff. I will measure only with a paper meter, i think it goes from ph 5 to 7 or something close.

Btw can i convert tsp/tbsp to grams? Also i will use dry powdered CaCl2 and chalk, is that good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A tsp is 5 ml and a tbsp 15. Chalk and CaCl2 have densities of about 1 g/cc so a tsp of either is about 5 grams but this is not a precise measure by any means.

Powdered salts are the form you are most likely to encounter.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
The_Glue
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
A tsp is 5 ml and a tbsp 15. Chalk and CaCl2 have densities of about 1 g/cc so a tsp of either is about 5 grams but this is not a precise measure by any means.

Powdered salts are the form you are most likely to encounter.
Cool, i will utilize this info on my next brew day.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
The_Glue
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My boil is going on as i type this.
I asked a lady in the water labor of our water provider.
So the amount of calcium in my tapwater was around 80ppm, my alkalinity was around 380 so i added about 100ppm calcium before boiling the water which in my calculations was enough to bring down the alkalinity plus let me have some remaining calcium after the boil.
I used 4% sauermalz.

I measured mash ph around 10 and 20 minutes in and both times the ph looked good on the ph paper. (in the first case it looked like it could have been below 5.2, i need to get an electric ph meter soon)

So thank you guys, it seems like i was able to lower the mash ph.

i used this paper btw: http://www.stonehelm.co.uk/Equipment/Testing/pHstrips5.2-6.8pH20s

Quick Reply