The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > i got a new water report from the city

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew View Post
OP are you using a water softener?

pH is 8.73. That's quite alkaline. pH 7 is neutral, 8 is 10x more alkaline, and 9 is 100x more alkaline than neutral. So you are about 85x more alkaline than neutral.
No water softener. our water come from the fox river which run right tho town. In fact the water processing center is less the 1/2 mile away from me. I compared the 2010 water report with the 2012 report and the water seems to change a lot

2010 2012
calcium ca : 35 90
magnesium mg : 12 47
sodium na: 68 120
sulfate so4: 45 71
chloride cl: 112 182
Alkalinity 65 84

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 -
Primary 2 -
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Imperial IPA, Oaked zythos pale ale, Cascadian dark ale, Sumpin sumpin clone, Summit hopped pale ale, Citra IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
AlDogWV
Recipes 

All of this water talk can go way over my head.

I've searched this forum and read hundreds of threads, but I would like to ask a couple of questions that are also related to the OP.

1. With regard to requesting a report, what exactly should I be asking my municipality to provide? This is a link to the most current report, but the info in this report leaves a lot to be desired: http://www.creswellwater.net/CCR_Creswell_12.htm.

The only other info on the site states that "water hardness is 11 to 12 grains or 200 ppm." So, what should I be asking for in the request for additional info?

2. Once the correct info is in hand, what is the best reference for finding out what I need to do with that info? I've read posts from aj on here and while he seems to know his stuff, I have no idea what he's writing about sometimes; honestly, it's overwhelming and confusing. Anyway, does anyone know if "Water," from Palmer et. al., explains things in lamen's terms?

I understand that one must get educated and I've no problem with that, but it's frustrating trying to piece things together sometimes. I appreciate any help sent my way. Hopefully others would benfit as well.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

[QUOTE=Glynn;5554130]I compared the 2010 water report with the 2012 report and the water seems to change a lot

Highly variable water makes thing difficult for brewers. You must either be prepared to adapt to whatever is coming out of the mains on a particular brew day (and be able to test each time so yoy know what it is you are adapting to) or wipe out the variability by deionizing the water (RO is good enough). The latter is preferable in terms of simplicity and enhanced control but you learn a lot more from the former.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDogWV View Post
1. With regard to requesting a report, what exactly should I be asking my municipality to provide?
In order of importance (IMO):
1. Alkalinity
2. Calcium or calcium hardness
3. Magnesium or magnesium hardness
4. Sulfate
5. Chloride
6. pH
7. Sodium
8. Potassum
7. Iron (preferrably FeII and FeIII)
8. Manganese
9. Phosphate
10. Fluoride
The only other info on the site states that "water hardness is 11 to 12 grains or 200 ppm." So, what should I be asking for in the request for additional info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDogWV View Post
2. Anyway, does anyone know if "Water," from Palmer et. al., explains things in lamen's terms?
I was much to close to it to see it as a forrest. I can only see the trees.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
AlDogWV
Recipes 

Thanks, aj!

Quick Reply