Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Hydrometer reading(FG)=1.010 Brix=7.1%???
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
ANewrBrewr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 37
Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Hydrometer reading(FG)=1.010 Brix=7.1%???

I've got a batch of IPA that has been in the primary for 2 weeks and the current hydrometer reading is 1.010 yet using a refractometer the brix % is 7.1. I've looked up a few different equivalency charts for brix->specific gravity and my readings do not match up??? I've also heard that brix readings are not accurate after fermentation has ended. Is this what is going on? I would much rather use my refractometer to do readings as it is much easier for me to read and use, but if a hydrometer is the way to go then I guess I'll conform.
Just wanting to here some feedback from the experienced brewers.
Cheers.

__________________
ANewrBrewr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
ajdelange
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 6,352
Liked 657 Times on 544 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Stick with the hydrometer. In brewing refractometers are great for monitoring the decline in extract as sparging proceeds but they really aren't good for much else.

__________________
ajdelange is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
JimGossett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 25
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewrBrewr View Post
I've got a batch of IPA that has been in the primary for 2 weeks and the current hydrometer reading is 1.010 yet using a refractometer the brix % is 7.1. I've looked up a few different equivalency charts for brix->specific gravity and my readings do not match up??? I've also heard that brix readings are not accurate after fermentation has ended. Is this what is going on? I would much rather use my refractometer to do readings as it is much easier for me to read and use, but if a hydrometer is the way to go then I guess I'll conform.
Just wanting to here some feedback from the experienced brewers.
Cheers.
Alcohol contributes to a Brix reading, yet is not sugar. Alcohol negatively affects SG, because alcohol is less dense than water. So, after fermentation begins, a Brix reading will over-estimate remaining extract and a hydrometer reading will underestimate remaining extract.
__________________
JimGossett is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Ma23456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 379
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

The ethanol will affect your brix reading because of its polarity so it messes with the light hydrometer all the way

__________________
Ma23456 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
JimGossett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 25
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma23456 View Post
The ethanol will affect your brix reading because of its polarity so it messes with the light hydrometer all the way
Not sure what you mean by "messes with the light." There are methods for measuring ethanol in water that rely on refractometry. In fact below about 20% ABW, there is a quite linear response between ethanol and apparent Brix in water. The nature of refractometry is that it is based on things "messing with light."
__________________
JimGossett is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,643
Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Stick with the hydrometer. In brewing refractometers are great for monitoring the decline in extract as sparging proceeds but they really aren't good for much else.
Actually, they are also very good for determining when fermentation is complete for those people who feel the need to take gravity samples on a daily basis. When the Brix stops dropping, fermentation is complete. Then, you can take a single gravity reading to find out what the FG really is, leaving you with a lot more beer to drink than if you had taken multiple hydrometer samples.

-a.
__________________

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

ajf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 787
Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

If the IPA original gravity was 1.057 then 7.1% Brix and 1.010 final gravity make sense with the ProMash refractometer calculator.

__________________
DSmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #8
iaefebs
Registered User
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Coast, MI
Posts: 2,663
Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Default

Post is 10 mo old. I doubt OP needs an answer now. DSmith had the right answer though.

__________________
iaefebs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brix to Specific Grav confusion christoph200071 Brew Science 3 06-06-2011 02:02 PM
Help reading water report cms Brew Science 1 03-08-2011 08:31 PM
hydrometer reading: change. batty Brew Science 9 01-11-2011 04:43 AM
Hydrometer, correct use Jungle Brew Science 31 10-10-2010 01:28 PM
Take your OG reading before adding yeast... why? billc68 Brew Science 6 05-27-2010 02:30 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS